Rome and Athens hotel suggestions?

Hey all, starting to plan for our Greek Isles Cruise next summer and we are departing from Rome and arriving in Athens.  

We are planning on staying 3 days before in Italy and 3 nights in Athens after to see as much of the cities as possible.

Anyone have suggestions for hotels to look into there, favorite restaurants or any other helpful tips as I want to make the most of our trip.  Thanks so much for any info y’all can provide!

We are staying in Rome for 3 days post cruise this July. I won't lie, I am very picky about hotels. We are currently deciding between H10 Pallazo Galla or Marriott Grand Flora (which came highly recommended by some friends). H10 is a really nice hotel chain through some places in Europe. We are staying with H10 in Barcelona pre-cruise. The only reason why I am hesitating on staying with them in Italy is because we would have to get 2 rooms for our family. But that might not apply to you. Otherwise, I've a taken a look at many of the H10 properties and like them all!

2025 has been declared a Holy Year so Rome will be extra busy with pilgrims, particularly round the main feast days. We are doing the TA which ends in Rome in May next year and have looked at the IHG (particularly Hotel Indigo because of its location) and also Residenza Paulus VI (across the road from the Vatican) which has been recommended by a friend at church. Hotel Indigo gave us a silly price but it is showing “dates to far out “ on their website at the moment and Paulus VI have said to phone again in May. So we will see what happens in May / June when we might actually be able to get reservations at more sensible prices

21 hours ago, FOB said:

Hotel Indigo

I had Hotel Indigo booked for the longest time (since prices were released) but recently let it go. The price never went down, and for what we could get for the same price at H10 or Marriott Grand Flora (even better room for our family), it was a no brainer. And I never loved the location of Hotel Indigo. I just grabbed it initially because it's IHG and most of my points are there. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:41 PM, Southern Dan said:

Hey all, starting to plan for our Greek Isles Cruise next summer and we are departing from Rome and arriving in Athens.  

We are planning on staying 3 days before in Italy and 3 nights in Athens after to see as much of the cities as possible.

Anyone have suggestions for hotels to look into there, favorite restaurants or any other helpful tips as I want to make the most of our trip.  Thanks so much for any info y’all can provide!

There is a yt channel called Greece Explained that does a good breakdown of areas to stay in Athens. That might help you decide. 

I stayed in the Hera Hotel in Athens, it was very nice! Small boutique hotel, reasonably priced in my book, located just past the end of a sort of "restaurant row" (though not in the more densely packed "downtown" area with tons and tons of restaurants; that was about a 15 minute walk away), and only a long block from the Parthenon entrance.

In Rome, I stayed in the River Palace Hotel. The hotel itself is gorgeous, and it's located just outside the Plaza of the Pope, which is maybe a 20-minute slow walk away from the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, along with a couple of gorgeous cathedrals that we stumbled on and a bunch of great restaurants.