Upgrade from Ocean Balcony to Junior Suite

We have an Alaskan Cruise coming up on Quantum of the Seas. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 tweens). We are trying to decide if an upgrade from an Oceanview balcony to a Junior Suite is worth considering. We are new to cruising, so any thoughts would be appreciated. 

My biggest concern with 4 in a room is the bathroom situation.  If you are considering a Junior Suite…why not consider 2 OV Balconies next to each other or connecting.  You could also consider one OVBalcony with an interior across the hall.  With a 2 room choice you may need to book one adult with one tween in each room.  2 rooms gives 2 bathrooms.  A JS still has just 1 bathroom with a tub.

Of course price is most important but to me…so is comfort and convenience.

Best of luck!

Depends on your budget, but I believe with the junior suite it is the same set up with the kids on the sofa bed. The real advantage is the half bath. The shower has one of those creepy frosted glass panels, which may be awkward with the kids. Perhaps connecting cabins if you are looking for the space and the price is comperable to a suite. 

It is important to note there are 3 different possible bathroom layouts for junior suites for the Quantum class ships.

Junior suites w/ Large Balcony will have a single bathroom with 1 toilet, 1 sink and 1 tub/shower combo.

Junior suites on the bump-outs where the elevators are (formerly Spa Suites) will have a split bathroom: 1 toilet and sink on one side and 1 tub, 1 sink and a walk-in rainforest shower on the other. (total of 1 toilet, 2 sinks and 1 rainforest shower and 1 tub)

Junior suites in the normal hallway (they have the [5+] on the deck layout) will have a split bathroom: 1 toilet and sink on one side and 1 tub/shower combo, 1 toilet and sink on the other side. (total of 2 toilets, 2 sinks and 1 tub/shower)

With one of the [5+] junior suites it is entirely possible to comfortably keep 4 people in a room without running into any major bathroom issues unless it's the shower/tub.

When we first started cruising we cruised four in a basic ocean view, so not even a balcony. The kids were 12 and 4 on the first one, and 17 and 9 by the time we did the last one with those arrangements. It was tight and it wasn't ideal but that was what budget allowed so we made it work. Basically, we spent the vast majority of our time out of the room. Admittedly, the ships we sailed on at the time had a huge advantage over Quantum class ships in that the 3rd and 4th guests slept in pullman bunks, way better than the sofa.

If budget allows you to splurge for a JS or a second cabin, great; but my thinking is that on a cruise to Alaska that money would probably be better spent on doing great stuff off the ship rather than on an extra cabin you're going to spend very little time in.

I'm assuming the room is already booked and you would be doing a "Royal up"??? Depends on the cost. I wouldn't spend more than it would of cost for the junior suite to begin with. Also I wouldn't spend more than it would cost to get 2 Oceanview Balcony's. Having 2 bathrooms is huge, when traveling with family it's often better and cheaper to book 2 connecting staterooms for the extra space and bathroom over getting a more expensive suite. You will be more comfortable in a junior suite over the 1 balcony room as it is slightly larger. Plus you will all be able to enjoy dinner at Coastal Kitchen and get some of the other little suite details being in a Junior Suite.

11 hours ago, CO_Mom said:

We have an Alaskan Cruise coming up on Quantum of the Seas. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 tweens). We are trying to decide if an upgrade from an Oceanview balcony to a Junior Suite is worth considering. We are new to cruising, so any thoughts would be appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Ryansox said:

I'm assuming the room is already booked and you would be doing a "Royal up"??? Depends on the cost. I wouldn't spend more than it would of cost for the junior suite to begin with. Also I wouldn't spend more than it would cost to get 2 Oceanview Balcony's. Having 2 bathrooms is huge, when traveling with family it's often better and cheaper to book 2 connecting staterooms for the extra space and bathroom over getting a more expensive suite. You will be more comfortable in a junior suite over the 1 balcony room as it is slightly larger. Plus you will all be able to enjoy dinner at Coastal Kitchen and get some of the other little suite details being in a Junior Suite.

Yes, we have already booked. When we originally booked, they did not have any adjoining rooms available, so we booked one room.  I have called, and still, no adjoining rooms have opened up.

I was debating on trying a "royal up," a $500 minimum bid for a junior suite, so we are trying to decide if it was worth it. 

1 hour ago, CO_Mom said:

Yes, we have already booked. When we originally booked, they did not have any adjoining rooms available, so we booked one room.  I have called, and still, no adjoining rooms have opened up.

I was debating on trying a "royal up," a $500 minimum bid for a junior suite, so we are trying to decide if it was worth it. 

That really doesn't sound like a bad price. $500 minimum x2 so $1,000 for the upgraded room. Personally I would as you'd enjoy the little bit of extra space and SEA class benefits.

@CO_Mom sorry guess I misunderstood your opening post!  Didn’t realize you were asking about Royal Up.  If the JS’s on Quantum have the “extra toilet” would be my only reason to possibly think about bidding.  $500 minimum/pp is a hefty payment so you would definitely want it to be worth it IF you should win!  Good luck with whatever decision you make and enjoy your cruise!

On 3/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, CO_Mom said:

will try for joining rooms for future cruises when I book

My two youngest will be off to college soon, the time we have with the kids just zooms by (as a mom of a 30 year old I know this to be true!). Having the family camp out in one room, in tight quarters, is a good- a great- thing! You will have an amazing time. Alaska is a destination cruise, so your focus will be on the ports and I am sure you will be exhaused at the end of each port day. No regerts with your original booking- spend some of the money you have saved on excursions, or a great meal together as a family... or put it towards a future cruise 🙂