Talk to me about the Diamond Lounge Coffee Machine...

We finally made Diamond (along with everyone else - LOL) - and our upcoming Alaska cruise will be our first as Diamond. We typically always cruise with the deluxe beverage package, but we're thinking we'll forgo it this time around since it's A) not the Caribbean, B) it's port intensive and we plan to locate the craft breweries in port, and C) we have the 4 drinks. If by some reason we go over 4, we'll just pay by drink.

My question is - everyone keeps talking about the coffee machine in the Crown/Diamond Lounge - is it as good as getting a latte from the coffee shop? Do I need a phD to operate the darn thing? Do they have any of the flavor syrups (not for me, but Mr. Mom enjoys a shot of sugar free vanilla in his latte) I am debating if I should get a Coffee card for my daily americano - or if I can skip that and hit the lounge for a decent coffee instead? 

No it is not as good as a real coffee shop. 

It's a push-button automatic, where you'll see a shot of steam and hot water, a shot of something milky and a shot of something that is assumed to be coffee.  Sometimes simultaneously.  And I like it.

It doesn't always work, but folks on this board say when it's not working, empty the grounds bin and it will start working again.  There's not always somebody in the lounge to tend to these things. 

Historically, I've spent very little time in the Diamond Lounge.  But specifically because of this latte machine, I find myself spending more time in this lounge.  Coffee is always available, and what it lacks, is made up for with the froo-froo in the coffee.  I absolutely prefer the darkest roast possible, and that's not available in the free venues.  The coffee in the Diamond Lounge is also not dark roast, but the latte/mocha additions help a whole bunch.  And I don't even know the difference between a latte, cappuccino  and/or mocha.  It is all good to me.😋

I would say it is not as good as coffee shop, but it might suit your needs.  The coffee machine in the lounge is pretty easy to operate, but it really can only do basic espresso drinks (espresso, capuccino, latte, maybe americano) and while I think there is sugar/sweeteners, there are no flavored syrups or options for cream/milk.  The machine supplies its own 'dairy' for those drinks that need them.  Your best bet will be the coffee card and then go and check it out to see if it will serve your needs going forward.  

It's a great perk, and makes a good cappuccino or latte (or expresso or americano).  Just note that you can't change the milk (i.e. it's milk vs if you want almond or soy milk if lactose issues) and you can't get flavors.  We went most mornings but sometimes I used a voucher instead at Cafe Promenade for a cappuccino with baileys or an iced coffee.  

The lounge machine is good but I don't add pumps into my coffee - though on occasion have been known to Irish up my latte with one of my free drinks 🙂 - so I'm not the best to comment on whether it will work for your Hubby.  

There is an awesome bar just a couple blocks from the dock in Juneau with ALL the good Alaskan Brewing Co. beers on tap... don't recall the name but it is literally 2 blocks "uphill" and has an outdoor bar space.  I'd say I remember it well, but did I mention they have Alaskan Icy Bay IPA on tap?

19 hours ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

We finally made Diamond (along with everyone else - LOL) - and our upcoming Alaska cruise will be our first as Diamond. We typically always cruise with the deluxe beverage package, but we're thinking we'll forgo it this time around since it's A) not the Caribbean, B) it's port intensive and we plan to locate the craft breweries in port, and C) we have the 4 drinks. If by some reason we go over 4, we'll just pay by drink.

My question is - everyone keeps talking about the coffee machine in the Crown/Diamond Lounge - is it as good as getting a latte from the coffee shop? Do I need a phD to operate the darn thing? Do they have any of the flavor syrups (not for me, but Mr. Mom enjoys a shot of sugar free vanilla in his latte) I am debating if I should get a Coffee card for my daily americano - or if I can skip that and hit the lounge for a decent coffee instead? 

Buy the coffee card. It's worth it!