Complicated (potentially) Room Name Transfer/Swap Question

OK, new to the forum but I always see a lot of great responses. I have also used the search function pretty extensively to read about changing names on reservations but have been unable to find any specific to our issue. We are planning on calling RC but kind of wanted to have some idea of what we are walking into before doing anything as it probably sounds like a bit of funny business...but it just seems like such a waste to have no one use these rooms.

We are cruising on IOTS March 7th, 2024, so right around the corner. My family (me + wife + daughter) are booked in an interior stateroom. We were travelling with another family who is booked in 2 connected balcony rooms (room 1 mom + dad, room 2 3 kids). Unfortunately they can no longer travel. They understand they are completely SOL as far as their cruise payment goes but lucky for them it is a work issue and his company is reimbursing him (must be nice!).

Because they have 2 rooms, we were interested in potentially 'trading' our one room for their 2 better rooms, which are already fully paid for. I understand that one person from the original booking needs to remain on the reservation, but could we potentially swap out some names on the reservations so that we can have these rooms? I also know that you can't be booked in multiple rooms at the same time.

Current Situation

Room 1 (Our room): Me, MyWife, MyKid

Room 2 (Balcony 1): Husband 2, Wife2

Room 3 (Balcony 2): Kid1, Kid2, Kid3

Desired Situation

Room 1 (Our Room): Me

Room 2 (Balcony 1): Wife1, Wife2 (not actually cruising)

Room 3 (Balcony 2): MyKid, Kid2 (not actually cruising), Kid3 (not actually cruising)

I am thinking this would be relatively 'simple' if this replacement was being done with another family that wasn't already on the cruise, but imagine that us already having a room complicates things. I am not sure if a reprice would be triggered by removing my wife and child from our room to transfer to their room. I also don't think we could just cancel our room and move everyone to their rooms as that would change the ages of the people in the rooms.

Thank you all in advance...I know I am asking about some serious finagling which could be unethical, but not feeling too bad about making it happen because the rooms are already paid for and will just go to waste (other than Royal making a few more bucks from a last minute RoyalUp).

Call Royal.  Just explain it's a what if scenario, unsure if it will happen.  

The other family will need to do the changes to their cabins so maybe a conference call with them, or get together around the kitchen table.

The only complication is removing guests from your cabin so you are solo.  You'll have a cabin capable of 3 people so you may be repriced when dropping to solo, and maybe forced to move cabins at prevailing rates.  Maybe have some fake names to join you in your cabin so that doesn't happen.

Since the reservations are in the other family name. You would need them to swap names. I have done this and it was still a mess. If you want to keep your room at the rate, you need to add fake names. Then have your wife and daughter added to the other reservations. Be mindful of any cruise planner purchases because they are tied to the reservation and not the person.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

Call Royal.  Just explain it's a what if scenario, unsure if it will happen.  

The other family will need to do the changes to their cabins so maybe a conference call with them, or get together around the kitchen table.

The only complication is removing guests from your cabin so you are solo.  You'll have a cabin capable of 3 people so you may be repriced when dropping to solo, and maybe forced to move cabins at prevailing rates.  Maybe have some fake names to join you in your cabin so that doesn't happen.

Got it, thanks for the tip on the fake names to avoid reprice/moving cabins, good call. Is there any issue with the main person on their reservation "no-showing", or RC will just take whoever shows up as long as they are on the reservation.

Will call shortly when we can schedule conference call with the other family.

37 minutes ago, snappy987 said:

Is there any issue with the main person on their reservation "no-showing"

While I have never done this myself, a prominent Travel Agent that I know and trust, has declared that the “original person” on the reservation CAN be a no-show without any repercussions.  I will admit that his answer to this question surprised me.  I have always heard that one original person must sail but apparently that is incorrect.  Good luck with the switcho-change-o.  It sounds like a good solution.

Just wanted to provide an update. It took about 30 minutes on the phone today but we were able to do our room finagling and end up with all 3 rooms (one of us on each room). Of course this is very frivolous, but ultimately these are the rooms our group paid for and if RC isn't going to give anything back than we might as well take advantage as much as possible.

he name swaps for our friend's rooms was very easy, basically just changing the name of one person in each room. The trickier part was our room. Initially they were just going to remove the 2 cruisers that were added to the other rooms, but there was some worry of a price readjustment or changing of fares. I made the suggestion of just swapping the names and the customer service rep said that would work and probably be easier.

All in all relatively painless. Everything in the planner seems to be updated along with our boarding passes. It did leave the passport and check in information the same as the original cruisers, so we had to make sure to go in and update all of that information. We also had to reprice a beverage package because as someone mentioned those are linked to state room instead of each person, but luckily it was just the refreshment package and only cost us a few extra bucks.

Fingers crossed everything goes well at check in...I am sure it will be a bit of a cluster when our family of 3 shows up with 3 different reservation numbers and a bunch of no shows, but the guy on the phone made it sound like it was no issue.

Thanks again for the tips, especially having some dummy names ready to go for the original booking.