Family Star Star Class on Symphony

Hey all, we recently booked two 2BR Aqua Theatre Suites on Symphony of the Seas for summer of 25. 

My parents and I have done one other Star Class cruise and we were so spoiled that we weren't sure if we could ever go back to cruising the way we had before. 

This time around it will be my parents and I, and my two sisters and their families. We will have four kids (ages 3, 6, 9, and 11). I'm starting this thread to try and get some questions answered as we go through what I'm sure will feel like an eternity between now and next year.

The first couple of questions we have involve star class with kids. We know from previous experiences what we can get as adults, food, tours, special access and never having to wait. Obviously the kids will be able to take advantage of those kinds of things as well. But are there any suggestions out there for kids to get the most out of the Star Class experience? Also is the CK family friendly? I didn't remember seeing kids inside any of the times we ate there on our last cruise; but I really wasn't paying attention either.

Thanks for any answers, and thanks for helping me pass the time as we wait and plan this adventure.  

14 minutes ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Also is the CK family friendly?

I've never done Star Class but I've been in Sky Class with my young nieces and I'll say absolutely! We ate there all 7 nights on Wonder in June and they took amazing care of my nieces just as they did on Harmony the year before (especially the younger one who has severe food allergies).

We have been blessed enough to do several star class sailings with our kids, and my niece and nephew. I have always thought, and still do think, that SC has the best value when you have kids with you. We've done SC just as a couple as well, and we definitely don't use our Genie as much when it's just the two of us.

51 minutes ago, CruisnMike35 said:

any suggestions out there for kids to get the most out of the Star Class experience?

This question is so general, I don't quite know where to start. Thinking back to our sailings with our kids and extended family, it was really convenient to get different types of food delivered for the kids when the adults wanted something else. There have even been times when we would go eat dinner somewhere, and the kids would arrange with the Genie to have something else on their own. Our kids also get great value out of unlimited Starbucks and milkshakes from JR. I cannot speak about Adventure Ocean as my kids have never liked AO ever, but I have heard from others that the Genie can help arrange times for that as well. Overall, when you have a larger group, I find the Genie to be so helpful, from organizing dinners, skating times, managing everyone's preferences, etc. I'm not sure if I am answering this well, it's so general, and it really varies from one family's needs to another, but keep asking.

56 minutes ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Also is the CK family friendly?

Yes, they are family friendly. There is even a kids menu in CK.

Thank you all for the great answers. One question that has come up in our family discussions is will the genie be able to accommodate 11 people for reservations at specialty restaurants or shows without issue? Whem my parents and i went it was just the 3 od us so obviously no big deal. I feel like it shouldn't be a problem but, but I wanted to check.

Also it's great to hear that there will be time set aside at the flow rider for star class only. Does anyone know if they do this for other activities? IE any of the slides, ice skating rink, Lazar tag, zip line ect? 

To be more specific about my original post. I am really looking for any ideas of things people have done with their children or children got to do that they wouldn't otherwise be able to. Any tours or behind the scenes things folks have heard of or had the opportunity to experience? Thanks again for the great answers. 

The short answer is yes. That's the whole point of the "genie" to make things magically happen. 

As for activities, the flow rider time is usually not very convenient (early in the morning on a sea day), but depending on the cruise, you may or may not have it to yourself (we've had it a couple of times where we were the only family). YMMV. 

Just let the genie know that you want to do ice skating, laser tag, etc and they will help arrange a date and time to do the activity. There isn't a star only time for those activities, but the genie can arrange for you to go. IIRC, your kids may be able to skip the line for any water slides (just verify with the genie on any rules). 

I think the only main challenge you may have is the size of the group. Technically, the genie only serves the individuals booked in the room, so anyone not in the room is dependent on if the genie can include them or not. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't depending on activity/reservations/etc. The shows should be no problem for everyone since the genie will put the purple cover over enough seats. 

Just remember - when in doubt, ask the genie. More often than not, they will try their best to accommodate a reasonable request (and sometimes unreasonable ones). 

1 hour ago, CruisnMike35 said:

One question that has come up in our family discussions is will the genie be able to accommodate 11 people for reservations at specialty restaurants or shows without issue?

We had 10 people in the Villa on Harmony last year and they were able to accommodate us with no problem. We did not pre-book anything and we got into all venues that we wanted, including Hibachi.

1 hour ago, CruisnMike35 said:

be time set aside at the flow rider for star class only.

This can either work for, or against you, depending on the particular sailing. If it's a sailing where a lot SC people are interested in the flowrider, you only end up with about 1 run each. So not great. And like already mentioned, the times are usually early, around 8:30/9am. However, if you get lucky and it's a sailing where not many SC people are interested, then you can almost have the whole thing to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for your answers. 

We have come up with a couple of more questions for the more experienced STAR class cruisers. 

The only other STAR Class cruise I have been on took place in February of 2022 when the ship capacity was still at about 60%. Also we were in the Royal Loft Suit, which we didn't know at the time, but found out once on board, is one of one and the largest and most luxurious suite on the ship. Because of those things we are interested to know if the attention we received was greater than we should expect now that ships are back to full capacity and we are not in the RLS.

Specifically how likely is it that we will be able to choose our embarkation time and will our suite be ready immediately upon getting on board? Also, how quickly does a typical STAR class suite get their luggage? It was within ten minutes when we did it the last time, but as I said, we aren't sure how typical that experience was. 

Thanks again for the answers. 

You can usually ask the genie for whatever time you want and they will try to accommodate. If  you want to get on as soon as possible that will typically be around 10:30 obviously depending on port etc. Rooms are typically available for star class by 11. The genie will usually walk you on the ship  and do the muster with you before taking you to your room. Luggage we have typically had within an hour or so of getting to the room. This has at least been our experience.

Another question has come up that I don't have a good answer for. 

Typically when multiple Star class suites are cruising together do they have the same or separate genies? Does location matter? Our two Aqua theatre suites are on opposite sides of the ship and one is on deck 8 and the other on deck 9.

Also any ideas or past Genie gifts that you would like to share would be awesome. 

22 minutes ago, CruisnMike35 said:

Another question has come up that I don't have a good answer for. 

Typically when multiple Star class suites are cruising together do they have the same or separate genies? Does location matter? Our two Aqua theatre suites are on opposite sides of the ship and one is on deck 8 and the other on deck 9.

Also any ideas or past Genie gifts that you would like to share would be awesome. 

This came up during our cruise in a conversation with our Genie. He said to request any genie changes or non-changes (we’re changing cabins on a b2b) around the time the survey or first email contact is received and they will do their best to make it happen. He said the more notice they have the more they can accomplish and that goes for any request. 

ETA-Our TA was friends with our Genie’s friend on board and found out that he liked a certain type of candy so we brought a gift bag of them with us and surprised him with it. You might look at older live blogs on here for comments about your genie. 

Edited by Smokey79
Additional info

I have heard it is common for the genies on oasis class ships to have all of the suites in the same proximity (ie all the port aqua suites or all the starboard aqua suites) so I think it’s not likely you would be automatically with the same genie. I would agree that you should make sure they know as soon you have any contact from them that you are a group so that you have the same genie.