Hi guys,

Cruise newbie here. Sorry if this question is obvious but..

I booked a Balcony gty room (no room selection) however received a 'change of stateroom email' today and we've been moved to a different room,  a balcony room on deck 7 with 50% obstructed views on the Ovation of the Seas. Is this normal to happen? is it there no guarantee your view will be obstructed when you book a balcony room? Im a bit disheartened but if its what they can do i guess it is what it is.  

Thanks

3 hours ago, Amy0198 said:

Hi guys,

I booked a Balcony gty room (no room selection) however received a 'change of stateroom email' today and we've been moved to a different room,  a balcony room on deck 7 with 50% obstructed views on the Ovation of the Seas. Is this normal to happen? is it there no guarantee your view will be obstructed when you book a balcony room? Im a bit disheartened but if its what they can do i guess it is what it is.  

Thanks

Part of "GTY" is that there is no guarantee of location or obstruction, just that it will be in the category you selected.  BUT I can tell you almost all of the balconies on that ship are considered obstructed to some point because of life boats below or other objects, but most of them seem to still have a fairly good view of the ocean from all accounts and videos I have seen. BUT maybe someone who has sailed that ship can give you a little more info on that part/ 

In addition to @ScottD's answer (which is correct), be aware that you can switch to any other cabin in your same exact category for free if any are available (and you booked from North America).

If you used a TA, they can move you. If you booked direct, you have to call.

10 hours ago, Amy0198 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks

If it is a balcony cabin, then yes it's a valid outcome for a balcony GTY.  Having an obstructed view doesn't change whether it is a balcony cabin.  But it does make it less likely that those who paid to pick their room would choose it.  The GTY bookings save money but get the leftovers.

Changing staterooms is a separate consideration.  Yes it's also possible.  Sometimes a cabin becomes unavailable (maintenance issue or a few other reasons) so you get moved.  That can happen whether you are a GTY or a normal booking.  As others mentioned, it's always possible to call and change cabins if there are any available in your specific category.

This is the offset for the discount you received for a GTY cabin. You only can control the minimum cabin type and that’s it. Your location and obstruction level are out of your control, somewhat. If you want a guaranteed location or a guaranteed 0% obstruction, you have to pay for it.