Cruising with adopted Daughter

MatthewBen

My wife and I recently finalized the adoption of my 6 year old step daughter! I have the court document finalizing the adoption, but we haven't received the new birth certificate yet. I was thinking about booking a "gotcha" cruise for her since she absolutely adores cruising, but was wondering if I would have to wait until we received the new birth certificate? Or would the "old" BC along with the court documents suffice? Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated!

No matter if you go now with the old birth certificate or wait until you get a new one, I suggest you take a copy of all of your paperwork.  I have been a single parent with full custody of my son for all of his life and have run into issues because people at the ports did not understand non-standard families.  Multiple times they have told me I must have paperwork of his mother allowing him to cruise.  I have had to ask for a supervisor and show them the court documents giving me full legal and physical custody.  So, the short is I recommend being over prepared with paperwork.  

Congratulations.  

When I adopted my son, I did not know there would be a new birth certificate with me listed as the father.  Being that I did not know the woman who would become my wife at the time he was born to her, I had no idea.

He's a 16 year old junior in high school now.   He's the equal of everyone in our family just the same as my other two children.  He made me very proud earlier this month.  For a Psychology class, he had to write an essay about "the greatest thing that has ever happened to you".  His greatest thing was being adopted by me.  He did not want me to see his paper, but my wife gave me a sneak peak.  I think I barely beat out him getting his Xbox.  I'll take it.