Best food spots in Alaska?

JFCruise

I'm taking an Alaska cruise in early May that stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka. And I'm looking at the ideal spots to eat during those stops. I'm interested in salmon and crab.

The cruise planner has a couple of excursions that satisfy those, but I'm pretty sure there might be better alternatives. In Juneau, they list an excursion that goes to Gold Crek Salmon Bake; and there's one in Ketchikan that stops for crab at George Inlet Lodge for crabs (along with the lumberjack show that I really really want to do). I've done some cursory research but as usual, the reviews go from "THE BEST THING EVER" to "what a waste of time, money, and oxygen"...

If anyone has any insight on better alternatives that aren't total tourist traps, I'd really appreciate it.

Second vote for the hot dog cart - those reindeer sausages are REALLY good.  Assuming a stable location, it was close to the local pharmacy, on the left-hand side of the street when you are walking towards the open town square and sort of across from a local bookstore.

Keep in mind salmon and crab both have seasons and crab season can be tricky.  If you're looking for King Crab it's neither better nor less expensive than what you may find at your local fish place. Tracey's Crab Shack in Juneau is right at the port and really popular but the king crab is priced at, like, $80 a pound and I prefer heading to CostCo and firing up the boil pot.... that said the place is really, really popular. 

You're just starting the salmon season in early May but if you can get it, I have heard really good things about the Gold Creek salmon bake.

It's neither salmon nor crab, bu the Halibut Tacos at Deckhand Dave's are messy perfection and only a few blocks away. There is a chowder I regret not trying, and they have a Catch of the Day board. Also in Juneau when you exit the dock area if you bear left along the waterfront you'll see two Filipino food trucks (usually with a very long line of crew), both of whom have terrific food. 

Ketchikan is a LOT of fun and there are several places that will serve salmon, plus if you walk right along the waterfront boardwalk when you get off the ship there is a fresh kettle corn stand almost at the end of the dock that is addictive. 

Good luck, and have fun!

@Riley @HeWhoWaits - thanks! I think we are going to book the Salmon Bake in Juneau. As for the other recommendations, I'll try and see how they fit our schedule. I'm not sure how my 5yo will feel about eating Rudolph, but we might give it a shot.

Also good to know about seasons, apparently King Crab will be off-season and super expensive, so good to keep that in mind.

15 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

@Riley @HeWhoWaits - thanks! I think we are going to book the Salmon Bake in Juneau. As for the other recommendations, I'll try and see how they fit our schedule. I'm not sure how my 5yo will feel about eating Rudolph, but we might give it a shot.

Also good to know about seasons, apparently King Crab will be off-season and super expensive, so good to keep that in mind.

The owner of Jesse's assured me that it's NOT Rudolph. 😉

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The owner of Jesse's assured me that it's NOT Rudolph. 😉

Yes, but has anyone seen Blitzen lately? 

They do have other types of encased meats available (including I think a regular old hot dog...) Also they have a "Reuben dog" that is worth the ridiculous mess to try to eat it. I had not known I needed sausage, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on a bun, but I do.  Oh, I do...

13 hours ago, Riley said:

Yes, but has anyone seen Blitzen lately? 

They do have other types of encased meats available (including I think a regular old hot dog...) Also they have a "Reuben dog" that is worth the ridiculous mess to try to eat it. I had not known I needed sausage, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on a bun, but I do.  Oh, I do...

Reuben the Reindeer!

Overall we enjoyed it. The salmon was good - both with and without the sugar glaze. The salad/sides are buffet style outside, so the food has either been out for awhile or is fresh out the kitchen - it seemed timed to with when an excursion bus was arriving. Service was good. The small gift shop is was a step above the usual trinket shops, but fairly standard. The short walk from the food area to the back with the waterfall and "gold mining" was scenic (it was in September, not sure what it'll look like in spring). We felt we got our money's worth, though I think if we paid ship pricing we might have felt different.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in for some great chowder and some other really good seafood / bar food, as well as lots of choices of beer, The Hanger on the Wharf in Juneau is a good choice and easy walking distance. Overlooks the water and seaplane docks. Seems to be a local hangout. We went there specifically on others recommendations and were not disappointed.