Amtrak to NYC and Bayonne

Va4fam

We are sailing on Anthem in January from Bayonne.

On the day before cruise, we plan to take Amtrak from our hometown in Virginia to downtown NYC.  Hotel, Dinner, maybe a show.  Then a simple taxi or UBER to cruise port on embarkation day.

Amtrak does not seem to have baggage services available....meaning we get to carry on everything needed for 11 day cruise and overnight in NYC.   The bags need to be the correct size to fit in the open bins above the seats.  Is this correct?  Has anyone else taken the train pre-cruise and brought larger bags?

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

@RCIfan1912.....I think you are correct but I can't find it anywhere.   I know when we were in Italy last year we stored bags at the end of the passenger car but I don't recall seeing that on Amtrak.

It's the same thing on Amtrak. There are places in the front of the cars for luggage. I think you'll be just fine and excellent choice taking Amtrak. After cruises on big ships trains are my favorite mode of transportation. Love it! 

As many people have already stated, there's storage both above your seat and in racks by the doorways on the Amfleet cars they run on the Northeast Corridor trains.  The overhead bins are open and far more spacious than airline overheads; they can even hold many full-sized "checked" luggage types of bags.  The conductors are also pretty creative in helping you find space for your belongings if need be.  The official baggage policy is that each person may bring one personal item up to 25 lbs. (14"x11"x7") and TWO carry-on items of 50 lbs. each (28"x22"x14"), but I've seen people drag on WAY more than that.  I'm attaching photos of the end racks and the overhead bins for reference.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.28.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.28.29 PM.png

13 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

As many people have already stated, there's storage both above your seat and in racks by the doorways on the Amfleet cars they run on the Northeast Corridor trains.  The overhead bins are open and far more spacious than airline overheads; they can even hold many full-sized "checked" luggage types of bags.  The conductors are also pretty creative in helping you find space for your belongings if need be.  The official baggage policy is that each person may bring one personal item up to 25 lbs. (14"x11"x7") and TWO carry-on items of 50 lbs. each (28"x22"x14"), but I've seen people drag on WAY more than that.  I'm attaching photos of the end racks and the overhead bins for reference.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.28.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.28.29 PM.png

Thanks @USCG Teacher for sharing the info and pic.  Very helpful.  

The train station is 5 minutes from our house and riding to NYC on the train is more enjoyable than dealing with airports these days.