Dilemma - need advice

Jamesszy94

There's two cruises going out of Sydney that both sail to New Zealand (I mostly want to see Dunedin and Dusky/Doubtful/Milford Sound)

One is a 13N out of Sydney on the Majestic Princess, the other is a 12N out of Sydney on Brilliance of the Seas

They both visit the same ports except for Picton - which MP  visits but BoS does not.

It's ~$250 difference. ($2799 (MP) vs $3050 (BOS) )

My dilemma is that, I know what I'm getting on Royal, but I've never been on Princess - just not sure which one I should sail. My dad doesn't care either way

Help!.

I have done 4 Princess cruises and have stopped doing them.  The last two Princess cruises I have been on I had the feeling they were for old people.  You need to understand I am 63 years old, and they made me feel out of place.  I like Royal Caribbean because they have a nice mixture of age groups most of the time.  Celebrity is different where there are not many kids but it does not feel like a cruise line for older people.

1 hour ago, Traveling Mike said:

I have done 4 Princess cruises and have stopped doing them.  The last two Princess cruises I have been on I had the feeling they were for old people.  You need to understand I am 63 years old, and they made me feel out of place.  I like Royal Caribbean because they have a nice mixture of age groups most of the time.  Celebrity is different where there are not many kids but it does not feel like a cruise line for older people.

It's just that I've never tried Princess cruises and would like to try them. Majestic is smaller than the Freedom class but larger than the Voyager class so would like to try a ship of that size. But Brilliance on the other hand... I would gain C&A points.

43 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

What do you look for in a cruise? I have done one Princess because it was in our off season. (Australia) and said I may try another in 20 years. 

The atmosphere is different. Not in a good way. 

What was different about Princess that you didn't like? I'm just trying to see what my options are and what other people's experiences are like.

Honestly, I'm a very laid back person, as long as I can enjoy the views of the ocean, go to trivia, good food and nice shows and am just able to relax, I'll be a happy camper, I don't really care about water slides, zip lines, surf simulators etc - I can do these back on land, why pay thousands of dollars to get on a cruise ship to do something you can do on land - at least that's my opinion anyway. Also the destinations - I've always wanted to visit South Island, but I've calculated the costs and a 13 day trip around South Island by car/staying in hotels etc would be about the same price as a cruise fair.

I've been on one Princess cruise and a bunch of Royal cruises. While I prefer Royal, I would Saul Princess again. I had a great time. 

As mentioned, the atmosphere is different on Princess. Regardless of the size, it's much more like sailing a Vision or radiance class vessel. The crowd is older. They have more enrichment type events. 

My advice is to try Princess. You might really enjoy it. I doubt you'll hate it.

14 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

What was different about Princess that you didn't like? I'm just trying to see what my options are and what other people's experiences are like.

Honestly, I'm a very laid back person, as long as I can enjoy the views of the ocean, go to trivia, good food and nice shows and am just able to relax, I'll be a happy camper, I don't really care about water slides, zip lines, surf simulators etc - I can do these back on land, why pay thousands of dollars to get on a cruise ship to do something you can do on land - at least that's my opinion anyway. Also the destinations - I've always wanted to visit South Island, but I've calculated the costs and a 13 day trip around South Island by car/staying in hotels etc would be about the same price as a cruise fair.

For you Princess sounds fine and I'm sure in time for me I will get there at some stage. I like somewhat modern music(not DJ style) but bands that will play something other than the Beatles and that era. None of that on Princess.

To me it's just the general vibe but again it needs to be at the right time of year on the right ship. The smaller ships head more to a princess feel while the bigger shops in peak times may gona bit too far the other way and often ends in a clash of personalities between the older cruisers and the party crowd.

I like NZ out of school holidays on the big ships.