Soda Fountain bacteria contamination

Scottr

Note: This issue does not pertain to Royal. Love Royal and travel only on Royal. However, the public should be warned about news reports of bacterial contamination from soda fountains. Study reported today in USA Today found 40 percent of soda fountains tested in fast food restaurants in California found evidence of bacterial contamination, and suggest this is a problem not limited to that region or fast food restaurants. Wondering if cruise lines sample test soda fountains for this contamination. 

It's somebody's job to clean those fountains at every restaurant (whether on land or at sea).  My wife was a former restaurant manager and she says it's one of the more common items that get flagged during health inspections.  Same issue exists for ice makers.  When's the last time you cleaned the water and/or ice discharge on your refrigerator at home?  Odds are it's filthy because most people don't actually clean it.  If you wipe with a q-tip/cloth and you see pink, that's mold.

This is quite interesting to me.  On one cruise a while back, the Freestyle machine(s) stunk so bad, they were gag-worthy.  I've refused to use any since.

I did have this discussion with Royal.  They actually were interested and quite apologetic.  They refunded the beverage package cost on that cruise, and gave us a complimentary beverage package on the following cruise. 

USA Today's story is like the reinvention of the wheel. Self serve soft drink dispensers and ice bins have been a fungus farm like forever. I've had the occasional Coke that tastes like the cleaning solution used to sanitize the machines.

The machines are on their way out at McDonald's . The self serve machines in the dining area are being phased out and will be completely gone by 2032. The store closest to us underwent remodeling; tables and chairs occupy the area occupied by the drink machine and the kitchen was slightly enlarged.

IMO, the big fail with Freestyle machines on Royal's ships is the nasty floor, mats or not. in front of them. But, a great way to have non slip soles on your shoes for a bit...........