If you drive a hire car to cruise Galveston terminal

Rhi

Hi

please can anyone help we are aiming to drive to Galveston cruise port as we are catching the princess cruise we are thinking of hiring an enterprise car so we can hand it back to enterprise at the terminal. How do we get from the enterprise drop off to the cruise ship is it far away? Thanks in advance

I am a frequent Enterprise customer and have used Enterprise to get from IAH to and around our hotel and then to the port the following day on two occasions; most recently last week. For me, the freedom and opportunities a vehicle offers me for the long distance between IAH and the port is worth the expense of A) the additional taxes and fees to pick up a car from the airport B) the $100 fee to drop off the vehicle at a different location C) the inability to pre pay and the mandatory Enterprise rule of using a credit card because of the different drop off location. The temporary hold is $300 in addition to the car rental, the drop fee, and all the taxes. Relatedly, the hotel for the night also put a temporary hold in addition to their charge. And Royal Caribbean put their own hold on the card when I got to the terminal. In short I am warning that you need to have a credit card that is expecting this type of traveler and has some room on it, say $800- $1,000.

This is probably not the cheapest way to get from IAH to the port, but on two occasions it did keep my family and those I was traveling with together and under our terms. It allowed us to see and experience Texas and kept us from watching TV is some crumby airport hotel room. For me, it is a no brainer.

The time and distance from the port to the Enterprise location is exactly what Google Maps says it is. 

This Enterprise location is not open on Sunday and they do not advertise free shuttle service. You’ll need some additional funds and time planning for a taxi, Uber, or Lift to get back to the port. They are kinda on island time there.

Thank you for posting your Princess cruise question to this Royal Caribbean fan site!!!

Rental car from airport to Galveston is not an easy option like at other ports.  Best option is really rent an return to arrival airport, then Lyft or Uber to port, that is if you have a couple of days in Houston area.  If arriving the day before forget about a rental car, find a hotel close to in walking distance of food or what you want to do.

• 4 months later...

How difficult is to get from Enterprise to the Port? I'm thinking on dropping off my family on the port and then return the car.

I've never been to Galveston so I'm clueless.

Also, how difficult is doing the opposite. Getting off the ship, get to Enterprise, rent a car and then pick up my family?