Dinner buffet vs dining hall -- same food?

sammy5001

2 minutes ago, sammy5001 said:

Is the food served at the dining hall same as the stuff at the Windjammer buffet?

There are some dishes that are served in both, but the Windjammer does not have everything on the MDR menu.

3 minutes ago, sammy5001 said:

Also if I always use the buffet (more convenient with 2 toddlers) and never use the dining hall do I still have to pay tips for the dining hall folks?

Yes, the Windjammer staff deserve gratuity as well.  Many of the Windjammer staff are also waiters in MDR.  

Also keep in mind that your gratuities also mostly go towards your stateroom attendant.

Some of the main dining room items will appear on the buffet, but there's also usually a themed section each night. In addition, sometimes there are items on the buffet that don't appear in the main dining room. For example, on the Allure, they had crab legs on the buffet for dinner, but not in the main dining room.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, sammy5001 said:

Is the food served at the dining hall same as the stuff at the Windjammer buffet?

Also if I always use the buffet (more convenient with 2 toddlers) and never use the dining hall do I still have to pay tips for the dining hall folks?

Expanding on Matt's statement you do NOT have to tip anyone. IMO you should still tip something since a lot of the waiters from the Main Dining Room also work shifts in Windjammer, pool deck, etc. but you are not required to tip anyone if you choose not to.

3 hours ago, DocLC said:

Even when I use the buffet for dinners, I keep the auto gratuity in place as you're still being served across all meals whether it's in the main dining room or at the buffet. 

Whether it's directly or indirectly, everybody on board in the service end, is providing you a service and deserves part of the gratuities.