Boarding with Multiple Rooms

2ManyDogs

My husband and I have cruised several times (all prior to COVID so it has been awhile!) but we are taking both sets of our parents on their first ever cruise. We've booked/paid for everything/have the reservations linked but we've personally never traveled with anyone else in another room before.  I'll be doing the online check in when it opens for all of us, but when we actually show up to the port to check in and board, will all 6 of us go up to the counter at once or is it per room? We will be going on the Allure out of Port Canaveral this fall. 

Also, we booked everyone balcony rooms as a surprise (they think they're in interior). My husband doesn't want to tell them this beforehand and wants to take them to their rooms to see their reactions but I can't remember if they mention the room type when checking in at the port or not. Does anyone know or is it likely dependent on who is working at the counter at that time? 

Thanks!

When sailing with our kids, we'll all go up together.  When with friends, even with our reservations linked, we've gone up separately. 

The port workers don't work directly for Royal Caribbean,  and have no way to know what kind of a room you have booked, unless you're in a Suite, it will say Suite on your set sail pass, but not what kind of Suite.

Unless the port itself has some sort of rule about this, I don't see why it would be a problem for you all to go together, especially since you're assisting your parents. We've done this before in cases where the family members travelling with us speak little English.

It will take your group a little longer than if you went to three separate desks because each room will be checked in individually but under the circumstances I think I would prefer to do it that way.

I’ve traveled with family, 3 cabins. I hold the passports, therefore they all come up with me.  Do one cabin at a time.  I’ve never heard them mention cabin type.  If very concerned you can write a note to pass along “it’s their first cruise-please don’t mention cabins/it’s a surprise”

in NJ you will scan via the app, unless you e printed their set sail pass.  You need it at the check in counter and again when you are going to enter “the ship zone” which is typically an area as you leave the terminal to board the ship.  If you are linked as stated you will be able to see all set sail passes on the app and you can just swipe to get to each next person. 
once  onboard the cabins typically open after 1pm, could be close to 2pm-it depends on the ship and port. 
enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...