Can I buy excursions onboard if sold out online?

LCS

• Matt changed the title to Can I buy excursions onboard if sold out online?
36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Many tours are easily booked through third parties if you search for that tour online.

Agreed. I'd go one step further and suggest using 3rd party sites or booking direct to begin with, even if offered through RC. You'll likely find more options and save some money.

Depends on the excursion. The vast majority of them will have some sort of capacity limits, so if it’s booked to capacity pre-cruise…there will be nothing to buy onboard. You are better off going through a 3rd party now for that excursion rather than waiting and being disappointed on the ship.

We've booked tours through Viator and Shore Excursion Group.  Viator (Trip Advisor) skims up to 40% from the local operator (but are usually still lower than RCL).  Sometimes the operator markets exclusively through marketing companies like Viator but sometimes markets direct.  We just finished a private tour of Corinth for two bought through Viator for $325.  The company was only paid $220 by Viator.  It pays to research.  You can screen with Viator and often find their operator and book direct.  

6 minutes ago, Doug_Texas said:

We've booked tours through Viator and Shore Excursion Group.  Viator (Trip Advisor) skims up to 40% from the local operator (but are usually still lower than RCL).  Sometimes the operator markets exclusively through marketing companies like Viator but sometimes markets direct.  We just finished a private tour of Corinth for two bought through Viator for $325.  The company was only paid $220 by Viator.  It pays to research.  You can screen with Viator and often find their operator and book direct.  

Good info.  Thank you for sharing. 

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agreed. I'd go one step further and suggest using 3rd party sites or booking direct to begin with, even if offered through RC. You'll likely find more options and save some money.

I'm starting to really think in this way also after being adamant not to because of the whole "Royal Caribbean won't leave you if the tour is late" but how often is that truly a problem?

Do you just Google the city you'll be in for excursions? What is the best way to find 3rd part excursions? The ones offered through Royal are getting just a wee bit too expensive for us. 

3 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm starting to really think in this way also after being adamant not to because of the whole "Royal Caribbean won't leave you if the tour is late" but how often is that truly a problem?

It's extremely rare. Just use common sense in choosing your vendor and timing.

4 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Do you just Google the city you'll be in for excursions? What is the best way to find 3rd part excursions? The ones offered through Royal are getting just a wee bit too expensive for us.

I usually check the port of call forum at another popular cruise site, ask here, and check TripAdvisor for highly rated excursions. Vendors don't have hundreds or thousands of great reviews by getting people back to the ship late.

All that said, everyone has their own comfort level. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's extremely rare. Just use common sense in choosing your vendor and timing.

I usually check the port of call forum at another popular cruise site, ask here, and check TripAdvisor for highly rated excursions. Vendors don't have hundreds or thousands of great reviews by getting people back to the ship late.

All that said, everyone has their own comfort level. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Thanks, I'm gonna start looking into this at some ports we are gonna be in coming up.