Book a second cruise, different date, as a backup plan?

Kalen

Hey all.  Got a unique situation I'm in.  Currently have a cruise booked for Wonder in June 2024, 7 Day Eastern Caribbean for the family.  But, I found out that I may need to go on a work trip during that time, but am not sure.  I'd hate to move the sail date (I booked refundable fare) and find out that I'm not going on the work trip.  So I came up with an idea and wanted to get some thoughts on it...

I thought, why don't I book another refundable cruise, same itinerary, but in July 2024, when I know I won't be traveling, as a backup plan.  That way, if my work trip cancels, I can take my original cruise reservation and just cancel the backup plan, and get my money back.  If the work trip does happen, then I have the backup plan, and can cancel the original Cruise trip and get my money back.

Do you think this is a good idea?  What do you think?

Yes, this is what I do every year for spring break. After incorrectly guessing when spring break will be 2 years in a row (it's either the 2nd or 3rd week of March in TX), I now book both weeks as a refundable fare and when school calendars come out a year or so later, I cancel the unneeded week. My school district has no consistent pattern as far as I can tell and I've tracked back 10+ years of calendars. However, Royal Caribbean always seems to know when Spring Break is, as the correct week has always turned out to be the more expensive week. 

Since they are booked refundable, the deposit usually comes back on my credit card a few weeks later.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

I wouldn't book extra trip. When I worked, I cleared dates with boss. If my leave got cancelled at the last minute, at least my family could go. As it turned out, my leave was never cancelled. Might consider just changing dates, not double booking.

The problem I see is the possible price hike. By double booking, OP is guaranteeing today's fare for the backup. If they realize they can't go, say, 2-3 months before sailing, it's almost guaranteed that the fare will be higher than it is today. Plus maybe the room type they wanted is gone.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:45 AM, drjohn4 said:

Or if the work trip doesn't happen... take both cruises on birthday

It sounds like you're considering taking two cruises if your work trip doesn't happen. That could be a fantastic way to make the most of your time and have a memorable travel experience. Just be sure to plan and budget accordingly for both cruises, and make sure they align with your preferences and interests. Cruises offer a great opportunity to relax, explore new destinations, and enjoy various onboard amenities. Whether you choose to go on one or both cruises, I hope you have a wonderful time and create lasting memories. Safe travels!

This will work just fine for you as long as you are going to have a go/nogo decision by the 90 day mark for final payment on the first cruise.

Another option would have been to opt for the travel insurance that has "Cancel for Work Reasons" in the coverage, then you could go beyond the final payment and have coverage on it.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:22 PM, Kalen said:

Hey all.  Got a unique situation I'm in.  Currently have a cruise booked for Wonder in June 2024, 7 Day Eastern Caribbean for the family.  But, I found out that I may need to go on a work trip during that time, but am not sure.  I'd hate to move the sail date (I booked refundable fare) and find out that I'm not going on the work trip.  So I came up with an idea and wanted to get some thoughts on it...

I thought, why don't I book another refundable cruise, same itinerary, but in July 2024, when I know I won't be traveling, as a backup plan.  That way, if my work trip cancels, I can take my original cruise reservation and just cancel the backup plan, and get my money back.  If the work trip does happen, then I have the backup plan, and can cancel the original Cruise trip and get my money back.

Do you think this is a good idea?  What do you think?

Yes book it now!!

That is what I did when I heard that my Freedom Dec 2024 cruise would be in drydock. It took them 4 months to finally cancel and make us offers. The pricing on 2 other cruises I booked went up several hundred dollars in just that 4 months. I got my alt cruise price matched and cancelled the other.

I made refundable bookings so I got my deposits back in less than 10 days.

If you are able to take your original date great if not then you have the back up but at todays pricing. And If you end up taking both well then kudos to you!! 

On 9/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, jupiter03 said:

Yes, this is what I do every year for spring break. After incorrectly guessing when spring break will be 2 years in a row (it's either the 2nd or 3rd week of March in TX), I now book both weeks as a refundable fare and when school calendars come out a year or so later, I cancel the unneeded week. My school district has no consistent pattern as far as I can tell and I've tracked back 10+ years of calendars.

The school I work for appears to have the same roaming style break schedule. However, it turns out the breaks are based on calendar weeks and not week of the month. For example, spring break is always week 17 in the calendar. So if you haven't checked this angle out yet, it's possible they're doing the same thing at your schools.