Icon of The Seas - Single cruiser question!

Hi Guys!

I was recently looking at the Icon for the month of February, 2025. So far it looks like this will be a solo cruise and the lowest price I could find was $5012.00. However when I said I was going with my son, my TA said it would then be 1149.00 per person double occupancy.  Well so if I cruise alone, it would cost me $5012.00, but for 2 people it would only be $2298.00.

I remember reading somewhere that it was legal to book for two but one person just shows up at the port on embarkation day.  Here are my questions:

Is this really legal to pay for 2 but only have one person use the cabin?

Has anyone faced any repercussions from the cruise line when they are the only ones showing up at the port?

What excuse do you say, does the ticket agent just roll their eyes?

Thank you!

Mitch
[email protected]

MitchLabadee copy.jpg

Two possibilities.  The rate for two is a guarantee rate meaning they pick the cabin or, there are group rates available which require two passengers.  

Otherwise with a full 200% single supplement the fares should be the same except for taxes and port fees for one.  

As long as you are okay with a guarantee cabin if that is what the rate for then at the moment there hasn't been any repercussions for having someone not show up on boarding day.

If you are planning on buying the drink package and you will have a no-show cabin mate then pick an age for your phantom canin mate that is under 21 so that you don't have to buy them the drink package too.  

As mentioned by @Ampurp85 you probably won't get double points for sailing solo because you didn't book it as a solo.  Sometimes they make a mistake and you get double points with a no-show but chances are you won't.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Two possibilities.  The rate for two is a guarantee rate meaning they pick the cabin or, there are group rates available which require two passengers.  

Otherwise with a full 200% single supplement the fares should be the same except for taxes and port fees for one.  

As long as you are okay with a guarantee cabin if that is what the rate for then at the moment there hasn't been any repercussions for having someone not show up on boarding day.

If you are planning on buying the drink package and you will have a no-show cabin mate then pick an age for your phantom canin mate that is under 21 so that you don't have to buy them the drink package too.  

As mentioned by @Ampurp85 you probably won't get double points for sailing solo because you didn't book it as a solo.  Sometimes they make a mistake and you get double points with a no-show but chances are you won't.

So far none of the prices I saw were for guarantee, I was socked at the difference in cost I have cruise solo for many year and it never occurred for me to do this trick.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

Something is not right about those prices.  I travel solo all the time and have never paid more than the price of 2 people.  Some of the time I have to all in to get the GTY rate because they do not show it for solo travelers but i have always gotten the price.

It was the first time I asked her. I said give me 2 quotes for the cheapest balcony in 2025 and that is what she sent me. I am going to check the RCCL site and see what they offer today.

Mitch

So I just now looked at prices again D4 - Ocean View Balcony Stateroom for 2 is $1,612.80 pp = $3,225.60 Feb 1st sailing

D4 - Ocean View Balcony Stateroom for 1 is $6,502.15 sp = $6,502.15 Feb 1st sailing

So If I book for 2 people but,  only I show up,  I would save $3276.55? Is my math wrong or am I missing something? Would not every solo passenger be doing this?

Mitch

10 hours ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

So I just now looked at prices again D4 - Ocean View Balcony Stateroom for 2 is $1,612.80 pp = $3,225.60 Feb 1st sailing

D4 - Ocean View Balcony Stateroom for 1 is $6,502.15 sp = $6,502.15 Feb 1st sailing

So If I book for 2 people but,  only I show up,  I would save $3276.55? Is my math wrong or am I missing something? Would not every solo passenger be doing this?

Mitch

The cheapest public website balcony rate I see is Central Park balcony starting at $2,969 per guest for two.   Two guests have many types of balcony available but once you specify one guest the only balcony offered is a D4.  Therefore it appears Royal is implementing rules designed to limit solo guests on that ship and date.  

My TA has a group rate for a Surfside balcony at $1,349 per guest before taxes and port fees but not for a D4 balcony.  It's possible your TA has some group space available to their specific agency for a D4 balcony.

This is a huge benefit of using a travel agency.  They do have access to group space that is never offered on Royal's public website.  This is a perfect example of why everyone should be getting quotes from a travel agent before blindly booking on the public website.

I wouldn't wait long to book something at that price.  If other agencies also have access to that group space it will sell out.  Group space is usually limited.

I've seen this before. My TA Told me it was because they had very specific promotions with restrictions like "No solo bookings." I'm on Oasis next month with one of those deals. Booked it a year ago. Inside cabin. $1900 solo total. $1400 total for two. And I'll get a little over $200 back in port fees and taxes.