Dining time change on the fly...

ScottD

So we are set for 5pm traditional dining next month on Oasis. Now my wife is having a change of heart (I'm not a huge fan, either) if we decide we just can't make it at 5, can we ask on board to get changed for a MTD sitting for that day, or we just go somewhere else that night? How about if we are fine with MTD for the whole trip, should I try to call now and make that change or can I make a request for that on night one?  I'm still a little weary on MTD overall, so if it means eating at like 8pm every night, I'd rather just keep the 5pm and if we have no other option, it becomes a WJ or Playmakers night! 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Maybe you could try the Solarium Bistro? In theory, you're supposed to book it in advance (no charge) but you could always wander along when you're ready to eat and see if they can take you as walk-ins.

Funny... I actually had a night at solarium reserved, I cancelled it a few days ago but I just re-booked it for another night (Lobster night- none of us eat it!) So we do have night 6 covered. I think for a few of the nights 5pm will be fine, I was thinking the day we get back from Coco cay it might be a little early, especially if we eat a bunch on the island, then its like get back on and go right to dinner- so that may just be a windjammer or even maybe check into a walk in at Giovani's later on,  which we'd like to do one night anyway. It'll work itself out, I really don't want to mess with the already set dinner time, I know if we cancel it we won't get it back and I don't want to deal with waiting in lines if we don't have to! 

You can ask once on board to change to MTD if you do it the first day.  You are more likely to get that change, than to try to change from MTD to early traditional.  Seems post Covid the most desired dining in order is Early traditional, MyTime, Late traditional.  Late traditional has always been the least desirable time, and is always open.

11 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

You can ask once on board to change to MTD if you do it the first day.  You are more likely to get that change, than to try to change from MTD to early traditional.  Seems post Covid the most desired dining in order is Early traditional, MyTime, Late traditional.  Late traditional has always been the least desirable time, and is always open.

Thanks. Yeah we have the early traditional, and boy is it early. I may ask when we get on board and make a game time decision. Thanks for the info! 

I will say, I like MTD for exactly this reason. You never really know this far in advance when you're going to want to eat or what kind of dining you're in the mood for - some nights really are just windjammer kind of nights! It's also great to work it around time in port, shows, trivia etc. Feels far more flexible than traditional in which you may or may not always want to eat at the same time but don't want to go somewhere else either.

You can make reservations as "early" as 6:45 and as later as 8:45 to avoid the very scary "no reservations" line. The most popular time seems to be 6:45 for both lines, but by 7 - 7:15 the reservation line is almost non-existent and you can get a table within a minute of coming down.

It looks like you sail in October, so there's still time to decide, but I definitely advocate for MTD.

26 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I will say, I like MTD for exactly this reason. You never really know this far in advance when you're going to want to eat or what kind of dining you're in the mood for - some nights really are just windjammer kind of nights! It's also great to work it around time in port, shows, trivia etc. Feels far more flexible than traditional in which you may or may not always want to eat at the same time but don't want to go somewhere else either.

You can make reservations as "early" as 6:45 and as later as 8:45 to avoid the very scary "no reservations" line. The most popular time seems to be 6:45 for both lines, but by 7 - 7:15 the reservation line is almost non-existent and you can get a table within a minute of coming down.

It looks like you sail in October, so there's still time to decide, but I definitely advocate for MTD.

Thanks! I really just wish they didn't change the early dining from 530 to 5. It doesn't seem like much but to me it feels like it. 530-545 is a perfect time to get to dinner. 5-515 just means rushing from port to dinner,basically

7 hours ago, ScottD said:

Thanks! I really just wish they didn't change the early dining from 530 to 5. It doesn't seem like much but to me it feels like it. 530-545 is a perfect time to get to dinner. 5-515 just means rushing from port to dinner,basically

And

I love the earlier dinner times, but then I'm up no later than 5 am also so you can imagine what time I go to bed.  Dislike that Windjammer doesn't open till 6 PM or 6 am

Spent my whole career working in the Midwest 6am to 2:30; like slot of the Midwest we work earlier and eat earlier than the coasts 

7 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

And

I love the earlier dinner times, but then I'm up no later than 5 am also so you can imagine what time I go to bed.  Dislike that Windjammer doesn't open till 6 PM or 6 am

Spent my whole career working in the Midwest 6am to 2:30; like slot of the Midwest we work earlier and eat earlier than the coasts 

I'm the same... I work 4am to 2pm most of the week, so I'm an early bird myself. But I also know on the ship we will be snacking all day, and on coco cay and in Nassau we will be eating on the islands, so when we get back, I'm not going to want to run right to dinner. But chances are, we'll keep what we have and just work around it- plenty of options to make sure we are fed when we want to be.