What currency will I need?

Frank P

We’re sailing to the Holy Land cruise aboard Odyssey in October, and since we’ll be doing shore excursions in several countries – Italy, Turkey, Greece & Israel – I’m wondering if my U.S. dollars will suffice for cash transactions in these various countries (assuming credit cards aren’t accepted) or will I need a supply of the local currencies.  Also, are dollars acceptable at the gaming tables on board the ship?

Hi Frank,

We just returned from Italy Greece and Turkey, notice not Israel. In Greece and Italy they except Euros. In Turkey they have their own currency, but in our experience want Euros. Most places take credit cards and will convert fairly for you. Interesting in Greece I tried to tip in dollars and the server refused saying he only would except Euros. I only had Dollars and he was fine with no tip. The whole tipping culture is very different. We tried to use the credit card for as much as possible which outside of a very few excursions was OK.

Credit card will be accepted in 99% of restaurants, cafes, shops and taxi cabs in these countries. 

However in my opinion its also good to have local currency just in case! 

If i go into a place and some of the staff look dodgy im not handing my card over! I'm certainly not giving them my card so they can take it to another part of the premises to swipe it! Take the card machine to me, if you can't do that then i will come with you! If they don't want me to go with them then its cash on the table. 

Also nice to have local currency to tip extra if you think someone deserves it such as restaurant staff or cab drivers. What you tip is up to yourself no expected % scrawled on back of receipt.

We took this cruise last year. In Israel you need local cash. Especially if you want to take a taxi, also busses were cash only even at the bus station.

Our experience was you could easily negotiate with a taxi driver to (for example) take you on a tour for a few hours for a fixed price. But they wanted to be paid in cash (local, not USD). 

So either take cash with you, or go to an ATM. 

Same goes for Kusadasi, if you want to take a taxi to Ephesus, prepare to negotiate a little and bring local cash.

Most other places creditcard will be fine. If you want to use cash, use Euro's. USD is not accepted in Europe, or if some tourist shop does accept it they will charge a very unfavorable exchange rate.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved this itinerary and ship.