Food on board ship

Cindy58

Hello.   First time cruiser.  Ovation of the Seas.   Alaskan Inside Passage 7 night.   
I have health issues and a bad stomach.  Will I be able to find a basic baked potato and boiled eggs at the Windjammer cafe?   Or is everything prepared entrees?  
And are the entrees full of sodium?   
I need soft bland foods and I’m afraid I’m going to have trouble finding that.   

If I order Room Service, am I limited to what’s on the menu or can I order other things?   

Thank you.   

Yes. and Yes.  The potatoes, depending upon when you go, and like @WAAAYTOOO mentioned, can be bad.

I don't know what ethnicity or nationality you are, and don't know if you are open to try, but Ovation of the Seas has Congee.  Its rice porridge.  Next to the congee is a toppings bar.  The Congee is not seasoned and pretty plain.  In Asian cultures, congee is the go to food for upset stomachs.  You can top a bowl of congee with some of the vegetables they have at the bar, tofu, etc... Very tasty and fits in the parameters of what you are looking for @Cindy58

The Hard Boiled eggs in WJ, found at Breakfast time only are just fine.  They are generally to hot to peal until they sit on your plate a while.

The only problem I have ever had was once at opening one morning the eggs were soft boiled and runny, that same batch 30 minutes later was cook completely through, chef must be like me and bring to a boil for just a minute and then let time do the cooking.

Windjammer is a good option for breakfast and lunch - in addition to fruits and boiled eggs there is plain oatmeal, grits, congee and other options, including an omelet station.  For lunch there is usually a stir fry or pasta saute station: pasta and veggies stir-fried with olive oil is low-sodium and as bland or spicy as you'd like it. 

If you eat in the main dining room alert your wait staff that you need a low-sodium and/or bland diet. The kitchen can adjust many items, especially if you order your meal the night before. I have eaten a lot of unseasoned salmon/steak/chicken breasts with baked potato and steamed or roasted veggies as my dinner.  You'll have to avoid soups, stews and other "made in big pots" items but many appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts can be made without salt. Talk with your waiters or the headwaiter - they are used to helping with this.

Have a good cruise!

20 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

The Hard Boiled eggs in WJ, found at Breakfast time only are just fine.  They are generally to hot to peal until they sit on your plate a while.

The only problem I have ever had was once at opening one morning the eggs were soft boiled and runny, that same batch 30 minutes later was cook completely through, chef must be like me and bring to a boil for just a minute and then let time do the cooking.

Letting time to do the cooking is how restaurants with smart chefs avoid hard boiled eggs with the dark, almost gray outer yolk.  Its the best way to hard boil eggs!