Under 2 year old on Oasis

First time travelling with a young child (22 month old granddaughter) and her Mom and Dad.  We have been on Oasis class ships many times before (but zero experience on what you do with such a small child).  Any hints?  I am just a dumb old grandpa (I do what I am told).  My guess is this very special small human being will not be toilet trained, but remember I am just a dumb old grandpa (so what do I know).

😉

Couple things we did when my little brother was around that age:

Carrousel ♥

Kid games located near Johny Rockets. 

Splash area located right near the pool area (i feel like this place is where the young child will enjoy the most!)

And last but not least, enjoy the Adventure Ocean program activities and the place itself, plus everything it has to offer for small childs. 

Royal Caribbean's Adventure Ocean children's program is an excellent option for toddlers when you want to have an adults-only dinner or go out later in the evening.  Take the tot to sign them up on the first day of the cruise.  The children's areas are staffed by caring adults who must have a college degree and some experience caring for children. They will feed, entertain, clothe, put them down for naps, etc.  I think they may call you or one of the parents to come change a diaper, but other than that you can reserve for blocks of several hours throughout the cruise. Details here Adventure Ocean | Kid Friendly Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises

You can pay for childcare.  It was $7/hr last summer.  You have to make a reservation for the time slots you want when onboard.  There’s a very small splash area for babies/young toddlers that mine loved.  The bigger splash area and main pools is for toilet trained kids only.  We went into hot tubs several times and held our baby without being bothered.  Other than that you’re kinda on your own.  

as others mentioned there’s a carousel and there’s also a small indoor “playground” they can climb and run around. 

Bring an umbrella stroller for pushing the kids around. Some parents bring the larger stroller which can be difficult to store in the cabin and navigate. 
hiding rubber ducks onboard is a thing, you can go duck hunting. Having a few with you to throw into the bushes in central park or elsewhere when the kid isn’t looking might help  keep them interested 

You can take your grandchild to the Royal Tots Nursery where they will be well cared for - but you pay an hourly fee. Children must be 3 years old and 100% toilet trained in order to attend the Adventure Ocean kids program. There is zero wiggle room on the age requirement. 

As others have said, carousel, baby splash pool, games on Boardwalk will all be a big hit. There is one room up in Adventure Ocean that is for the younger kids and contains lots of climbing and big size toys. Our 1.5 and 3.5 year old grands had a lot of fun in that playroom. 

Took a one year old and 18 month old on Oasis (actually the same child, just two cruises-six months apart).  

As mentioned above, they will be assigned to the Adventure Ocean Nursey which carries an hourly cost.  First thing to do when you get onboard is run up to AO register the child and reserve your time slots.  They fill up quickly but it is worthwhile.  They will allow a certain amount of time on the first day that I believe is somewhat dynamic based upon the number of children on board.  In May of last year it was 8 hours, in December it was 12 hours.  Pick the times you know you really want in the first 3 days or so.  After the first day they will let you add additional hours as long as there is space.  You will need to leave diapers and a bottle with the child but they will handle everything while they are there.  If you are on board they will give you a phone to carry with you in case something comes up.  We needed to return to rescue the little one once because they could not get him to calm down.

22 Months will probably not be potty trained but there is a small diaper-friendly splashpad located by the larger splashaway bay pad.  They will not be allowed in the big area.  I have also seen staff prevent non-diapered children from playing in the diaper-friendly pad.  NB: the splashpad does not open until the pools are open which is usually 9-10 on most days.  That may seem plenty early to most people, but if you have an almost 2-year old who is up at 630, trying to fill that time until 10 can be tough.

On the topic of early mornings, do not forget that you can get free continental breakfast room service (or full breakfast if you are in a suite or want to pay the fee) I would recommend ordering something small. The little ones tend to wake up hungry and may not be accustomed to waiting until everyone is showered/dressed and ready to head to breakfast (and then waiting through a buffet line or ordering/prep).  A piece of fruit or muffin delivered first thing can do wonders to stretching them until you can make it to your preferred breakfast location.  For breakfast don't forget that Johnny Rocket's is complimentary and very frequently one of the least crowded offerings. 

Get used to finding the fastest route to deck 6 aft and riding the carousel.  You will (almost certainly) be doing that alot.