MTD with reservation?

bod925

First time cruise in a few months. I understand MTD versus a set dining time. We opted for MTD at booking. However, what I am confused about is the option to reserve a time for MTD. In the app I can select each day and pick a time for the main dining room. Two questions:

1. Is it required to reserve a time?

2. If not required, do you recommend reserving a time over just showing up?

It is not required to reserve a time. If you want to, even on some of the days, do it right away as at some point there will only be very late times left. It can be a different time each day vs the traditional dining.

If you do not reserve a time there is a separate line. You should be prepared to wait - time unknown as it really just depends on what the demand is after reservations and how quickly dining is moving along that day.

1) No, not required. You just go to the stand-by line.

2) I personally recommend it, but I’m a planning freak. Wait times in the stand by line can be anywhere from non-existent to over an hour, depending on the time you want to eat and what is on the menu that night. With that said, even with a reservation I have waited 20-30 minutes at times. 

I make reservations for MTD and never have to wait more than 5-10 min for my table. We also if we like the wait staff request to have the same table every night, so it ends up being a modified standard dining but at my time.

There is always a long waiting in the no reservation line. I make my reservations as soon as I book the cruise to get the time I want to eat.

34 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I make reservations for MTD and never have to wait more than 5-10 min for my table. We also if we like the wait staff request to have the same table every night, so it ends up being a modified standard dining but at my time.

There is always a long waiting in the no reservation line. I make my reservations as soon as I book the cruise to get the time I want to eat.

Our pattern, exactly.