Charging more for connecting rooms

jbrinkm

Are connecting rooms really in such demand to charge so much over the identical (but not connecting room) for them? All of the mock bookings I've been doing since the fall for connecting rooms seem outrageous. I can't imagine anyone who isn't traveling with other family members/minors would be thrilled to be in half of a connecting room with strangers on the other side - doesn't the interior door allow for more noise from the other cabin?

We just went with non connecting and used the balcony this time rather than pay $1000 more, and it was fine, but if we'd had bad weather or non-balcony rooms, that wouldn't have worked. It would be especially hard if you pack as a family rather than in individual suitcases. We were back and forth through those balconies many, many times while unpacking and repacking. I'm glad they opened the divider that quickly after we were in the room! It just doesn't make sense to me that my family, who would have preferred a connecting door, didn't have one, and some other random GTY people on the ship might have had them for less than we spent.

Couple things about connecting rooms, Don't assume that the door to your secret passageway will be a standard width. Many times they can be very narrow. And, with cruise lines preoccupation that ANY open area in a stateroom floor plan means that they are going fill it with a piece of cumbersome furniture, don't think for a second that your connecting room door is just going to open and close. They don't, there is always something in the way.

As the OP mentioned, balcony rooms with the divider open are the way to go. It is well worth your time to research if the balcony divider can be opened between two proposed cabins. You will appreciate the open balcony so much you'll be wanting to do it on future sailings with neighbors you know but are less intimate with. 

They are a business.  They exist to generate profit and generate value for shareholders.   If they can charge for something and people are willing to pay for it that is aligned very well with their core mission. 

On the other hand if people weren't willing to pay for the privilege of having a connecting door with family or friends then there would be no market for it and they would have to reduce prices to sell them.  

So it seems the issue really is that someone else is willing to pay a premium for the privilege.  You want something that others also want.  

☝️☝️☝️☝️….this.

If the particular cruise is heavy on families and a connecting room is in high demand, then the price will rise.

If the cruise is heavy on couples or singles who prefer not to have a connecting door to a stranger’s cabin…then the price will drop in order to tempt them into paying less.

Cruise lines as a business do not like unsold cabins. Bad for profit.

I book solo. Sometimes the solo cabins are much cheaper. But, if the demand rises because there are lots of solos on a particular cruise, then the price will rise.

This supply and demand phenomenon is a great illustration of the term ‘timing is everything’.😎

FWIW I booked a cruise on 21 days notice.  Cabins available for me to pick from were... one.  It was a connecting cabin.  I got a great last minute deal but wasn't thrilled about connecting to strangers on an older class that doesn't do well with sound proof doors. 

Fortunately a non-connecting cabin later became available and I was able to change cabins.  It was the same category so no fee to change. 

The last minute deal was offered to fill the ship presumably.  With 3 weeks to sail date they were willing to forgo the connecting premium to open the cabin to anyone willing to book it.  Someone else booked the other cabin that was connecting, or their family/friends in the connecting cabin had to cancel.  I'll never know which.  The point is Royal adjusted the price to acheive capacity goals.  With a week to go connecting was the same price as non-connecting.