Are fans allowed?

15 minutes ago, Xaa said:

This one is.  It has a USB A end that plugs into a Brick or directly into a USB.  You can power it either way.  I use USB

Thank you.  Do you know know if the ship requires it to be a USM powered fan. Or can it be one that is powered through a regular outlet?

I don’t think there is any requirement for the fan to be USB-powered, but since AC outlets are so scarce and limited in their placement, I think you will be grateful to have the USB.  What you cannot bring is an extension cord or any kind of additional AC power plugs.  They seem to be getting much more strict on power plug supplementation.  I recently had a cordless AC/USB brick confiscated.  Others have managed to get theirs through.  YMMV

One perk of a small USB fan (and I mean small) is that you can use it on flights. Especially on longhaul aircraft, the individual vents seem to be increasingly absent, especially in business/first class, but USB outlets are almost universally present. So having a small fan to plug in for flights can be a huge advantage. There are also some airlines, like the Japanese ones (ANA and JAL mainly), that tend to keep the cabins way too warm and stuffy. 

We cruise with 3 plug-in fans that I have customized with heavy duty coated magnets and a white noise machine. The magnets allow us to mount them to the ceiling easily out of the way. The only thing we have been asked to do is to not leave them on when we leave the room. Being from Florida we need our room cold and air moving to sleep. 

Last October we sailed on the Voyager OTS.  When we got on board, I immediately asked the room attendant if she could get us a fan.  She didn't promise that she could but showed up a little later in the day with a standard size oscillating fan.  Since then, I bought a small packable one from Amazon Warehouse for around $12.  The box was damaged, but the fan was pristine and had never been used. I will take it on our June sailing on the Quantum OTS to Alaska.