Passport stamps?

jp1

We’re currently cruising the Caribbean and I have a potentially stupid question.  When we get to St. Thomas and St.  Maarten is there a relatively easy way to get our passports stamped?  Trying to fill it up before it expires.

What is your passport nationality?  If you are traveling with a US passport, then you will not be able to get a St. Thomas stamp because it is part is the US.  There is usually a customs and immigration station at the pier, but they rarely give out stamps -- does not hurt to ask them for one though.

35 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

What is your passport nationality?  If you are traveling with a US passport, then you will not be able to get a St. Thomas stamp because it is part is the US.  There is usually a customs and immigration station at the pier, but they rarely give out stamps -- does not hurt to ask them for one though.

Good point.  Yes, US passport.  I’ll ask in St. Maarten.

It most certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but in most cases the "stamp" in your passport is technically a visa, so they may not be able to give you "another" visa by stamping your passport.  The reason I say that is because to the extent St. Maarten requires a visa for US passport holders arriving on a cruise ship (I'd guess yes), RCCL takes care of that behind the scenes on your behalf before you leave the US - so, for the St. Maarten immigration folks, stamping your passport (which has the effect of "issuing" a "new" visa) may not be possible.  100% ask if getting your passport stamped is your thing, but if you get met with a "no" that could be the reason why. 

I'm also a big fan of passport stamps.  Fun to look back and remember old trips, isn't it? With all the electronic visa stuff kicking in in parts of the world, I worry the days of passport stamps (or even physical passports) are coming to an end sooner than we might like to think about sometimes. 

We are fans of getting a passport stamp when we are able to do so.  Since that is the case I have found a few that are pretty easy to get while cruising in the Caribbean.

- Bahamas - at the government office building just to the left of the Nassau port 

- Aruba - In the Cruise Terminal small building, hours vary

- Curacao - Office across the pontoon bridge, turn left to the corner 

- Grand Cayman - At the area where tendering there is an office

We have not done one in St. Maartin even though we have been there a couple times.  Supposedly the office is just outside the port gates to the right.  If you go and can confirm that would be great.

Happy sailing and collecting stamps.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, ScooterScott22 said:

We have not done one in St. Maartin even though we have been there a couple times.  Supposedly the office is just outside the port gates to the right.  If you go and can confirm that would be great.

Just returned from our cruise that included a stop in St. Maarten.  It was a 10-15 minute walk to get our passports stamped.  Here's the path we took...

image.png.7bd9dcfdff2e1c941300a8c1b77c1d40.png

And here's the building and door you're looking for...

image.png.2d6be291a83caf0f86c59326b0f3fe91.png

They were very friendly.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:45 PM, KJones said:

Make sure it's an official government stamp and not a tourist booth "passport stamp," as those could technically invalidate your passport.

Really??? My mom got her passport stamped at a little hut in the Roatan port. Is this not a legitimate stamp?

@BowenYes, a passport with unofficial stamps could be rejected, as it 1) could be considered "alteration or mutilation" of the passport and/or 2) only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries may place stamps or make notations or additions.
We also got our "free" "stamp" in Roatan at a little hut at the port. The biggest red flag that we missed / didn't think about was when the employee heavily hinted that also though free, we should tip her. Fortunately we haven't had any issues with the fake stamp while using our passports (yet)... but now we know better

• 5 months later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:46 AM, jp1 said:

Just returned from our cruise that included a stop in St. Maarten.  It was a 10-15 minute walk to get our passports stamped.  Here's the path we took...

image.png.7bd9dcfdff2e1c941300a8c1b77c1d40.png

And here's the building and door you're looking for...

image.png.2d6be291a83caf0f86c59326b0f3fe91.png

They were very friendly.

thank you to this person! We followed your route and had no problem finding the building. Had I not seen this post, I would’ve been a little anxious, as it was kinda off the main path and seemed a little sketchy initially 😂. The immigration office was friendly and just asked to see our cruise passes.