Shopping on board - Freedom of the Seas

There is plenty of shopping on the Royal Promenade on Freedom of the Seas. The Royal Promenade is like a large shopping and dining district.

In terms of prices, there are specials throughout the cruise, but I cannot comment how lucrative any of it is.

My advice is to research in advance what you are in the market for.  If you are looking to buy jewelry, be sure to know what the going rate is back home.  Heck, buy an internet package and see what that same item is going for on Amazon while you're onboard! I've done that too for designer clothing to ensure I'm getting a good deal.

Last year I caved in to the "huge markdown sale" on watches on the Promenade.

I bought a beautiful Invicta Diver's watch for what ended up being $125.  I am not a 

watch guy, and couldn't access the internet to research, so I took the deal on faith that

RC wouldn't screw anyone, right?  

Got home and found it a good bit cheaper everywhere I looked, even the Invicta site.

However, i love this watch and am super happy that I got it.  Just be price-wary if you buy on the 'nade.

At one time, Royal had a price guaranty. I'm not sure if they still do, but it was enough to persuade is to buy a figurine that we liked as a souvenir. When we got home, I discovered it was a retired figurine and they we had actually paid significantly less for it than we would have at home. This was before internet access on ships and phone calls costing $8 per minute. 

Typically what I'll do if there's a shop on board with something I know I'd like to buy (Michael Kors bag, perfume, sunglasses), I'll do my research beforehand so I know what the current going price is to know if I'm actually getting a deal or not. 

I've actually had really good luck with purchasing perfume on board - I tend to restock on the particular brand I buy when I'm on board because it's a better deal than on land, plus the benefits of duty free shopping. 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, klaconqueso said:

Typically what I'll do if there's a shop on board with something I know I'd like to buy (Michael Kors bag, perfume, sunglasses), I'll do my research beforehand so I know what the current going price is to know if I'm actually getting a deal or not. 

I've actually had really good luck with purchasing perfume on board - I tend to restock on the particular brand I buy when I'm on board because it's a better deal than on land, plus the benefits of duty free shopping. 

I agree.  I noticed the perfumes and colognes are cheaper on board - if for no other reason than they are duty free.  I bought some Swarovski jewelry on one of our cruises.  It was a little more expensive than the store prices, but again - tax free, so probably about the same in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope more people buy VOOM so that they can compare to land prices while on board, and show it to the staff. Eventually, that may drive prices down in cases where they are too high. On the other hand, there is a nice convenience factor as well as sentimental reasons for buying something on board.

Royal doesn't have a guarantee per sei, the watch or jewelry manufacturer will sometimes have guarantees and price match when you get home.

I never buy on board because I find the prices are cheaper at home. I do agree that perfume and makeup can be less expensive on board.

The ship usually has a tee shirt sale, 2 for $20 towards the end of the cruise, the cheap port tee shirts.

As someone posted get the Voom package and check prices on big item purchases, also the art, don't buy any until you can price check.

Candie