Last Minute Independence March 29-31 (2023)

Babsy47

Long story to a short, last minute trip . . . 

We booked a long, long time ago on Harmony for a 2BDR Aquatheater for parents, adult kids, and teen kid during teen kid's Spring break.  Harmony switched to Wonder, and we had the 8th floor 2BDR on the Wonder for a reasonable Star class rate.  Yeah us!

As sometimes happens, life interfered with best laid plans.  My Dad got very ill.  DIL got pregnant. Other adult kids decided to spend pre-baby time traveling the world.  So, that just left three of us in a 2BDR suite that, while at pre-crazy prices, was still a hefty amount for three people.  Moreover, baby is due shortly before scheduled trip departure and Dad started hospice.   Hubby tells me that he is overwhelmed at work (as am I).   I decided to cancel; too much uncertainty and chaos for an expensive trip.  Much relieved after cancelling, I decided on a cruise free 2023.

Then, teen kid (Senior in HS) tells me (in all honesty) that he would really like to spend Spring Break with just parents on a final, pre-college trip.  He does not whine or make a big deal, but says he enjoys trips with just us and little other distraction.  So, I decide that we need to do something as a family with him.  But, new baby??  Sick dad??  Work??  How does one do all of this?  In the end, we decided on a short cruise from Port Canaveral.  We can fly direct to MCO and use points, making the trip shorter and more manageable.  Baby will come, at the latest, a week before we leave so I can care for already alive granddaughter during new grandchild's entry to the world. By the time I make this decision, however, Spring Break is only three weeks away; not much choice of cruises and cabins.

I call RC, and the nice man on the phone finds me a Junior Suite on Independence of the Seas.   So, it appears we are going on a 2023 cruise after all!  We have never been on this ship.  We cruised on Liberty a very long time ago when she was new, but that was the last time on this class of ships.

We have stops in Nassau and Coco Cay.  Usually, we dive in Nassau, but Stuart's Cove is the only dive operator I have found.  I vowed never to use this company again after a third bad experience.  We have done Atlantis several times (always fun).  We have rented a boat and captain; an awesome alternative for a larger group.  For this trip, we decided to visit the new water park at Baha Mar.  I reserved day passes and loungers at the beach club.  I'm looking forward to exploring this new alternative!

At Coco Cay, we have Beach Club passes and a water park pass for son. 

I'm thinking of just sticking to the included dining this trip.   We will see how that goes.

We are going to Universal before we head to the ship, so no local hotel.  

I'm planning carry-on only packing; we've had negative checked bag experiences over the past year or so.

Have fun babysitting your granddaughter. I too was on call to babysit my granddaughter when my daughter went into labor.  She had a scheduled induction for this Wednesday.  I decided to go ahead and traveled to PA for my sister-in-law's memorial service.  While I was done there, my daughter was in a lot of muscle pain and chills.  She calls me on Saturday asking if I would come home because she was so stress.  Fortunately, this was after the memorial service so of course I drag my son and husband home (not much dragging was needed, as in none). 

It ended up that she caught COVID for the first time.  She was induced Saturday night.  I got home around 10:30 pm to take over for a neighbor.  Fortunately, everyone is well and my daughter's symptoms went away.  

I will be following along.  Enjoy your trip. Prayers for your dad and DIL. 

Thank you for the reminder, @FireFishII that we need to have gratitude for what goes well.  Your past few weeks sound far more stressful than mine!

Well, no grandbaby . . . yet.

I decided to buy new luggage . . . first new luggage in about 20 years.  I'm looking forward to having an actual modern carry-on!  I'm determined to get everything (including work stuff) into a carry-on and a backpack.  I think shoes may be an issue . . . I'm trying to limit to one pair of walking shoes and one pair of all-purpose sandals.  

• 2 weeks later...

Two more work days until we leave!

Grandson was born yesterday, and I get to meet him today!

We are flying to MCO from LA on Friday and staying at Universal.  DS loves Universal, so it should be fun.  We plan to enjoy two days at the parks and then head to the ship on Monday.  Renting a car for a week with my work discount ended up costing less than a shuttle or Uber from MCO to Universal to Port Canaveral and then back to MCO even with parking at the port.  The car also makes logistics far more simple (we have found). 

We have had so much rain this month!  And, for us, its been cold (weeks of days in the 50s).  I know, many cannot relate.  We are, however, looking forward to warmer weather.

We are packed.  I do not get home from work until late on Thursday, so advanced packing will make Friday morning less hectic.  We managed everything for the trip in carry-ons so no need to worry about lost baggage (or waiting for said baggage).  I'm hoping for the bag of laundry deal on the ship!  The big carry-on issue for me involves shoes.  I managed a different dress for each cruise night, but only one pair of dress sandals.  The difficulties of vacation . . .