Can they increase price after booking?

I booked a two person inside room for a May 2018 cruise. I booked online through the Royal Caribbean website and got a very very good deal. I got an email that there was a problem with this booking and they are going to cancel it if I do not call them. Is it legal for them to change the price (increase) after booking? It wasn't through a third party website, it was their direct website. 

Not sure what the problem is, I've had cruises go up in price but I paid what I paid, nothing more.  I'd call and see what going on, tell them you aren't paying more.  As for being legal, I'm sure there is some fine print in the contract that allows them to do what they want.

If you've put a deposit on the cruise, then you've essentially locked in the price.  There may be some stipulation in the cruise contract that they are not responsible for system errors in pricing of a cruise, but I've never seen nor heard of this being enforced.  The only other reason would be if you booked at a discounted rate that you weren't eligible for (e.g., military, residency, etc.).

The only other time the "price" can increase, even after final payment, is if the taxes and fees are increased by the countries where the ship docks.  For example, my first cruise on Royal occurred just after NAFTA went into effect, so an additional tax/fee was added onboard to cover this increase.

Please keep us posted and let us know the resolution of your situation after you call Royal.

Yes, this will be very interesting to follow, I don't currently use a TA, I do all of my own booking through the web page.

You guys don't start beating me up, I'm now on board with using a TA, after reading all of your post, plus my cruises are starting to get more and more complex, so I want someone else to do the planning for me.

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

If you've put a deposit on the cruise, then you've essentially locked in the price.  There may be some stipulation in the cruise contract that they are not responsible for system errors in pricing of a cruise, but I've never seen nor heard of this being enforced.  The only other reason would be if you booked at a discounted rate that you weren't eligible for (e.g., military, residency, etc.).

The only other time the "price" can increase, even after final payment, is if the taxes and fees are increased by the countries where the ship docks.  For example, my first cruise on Royal occurred just after NAFTA went into effect, so an additional tax/fee was added onboard to cover this increase.

Please keep us posted and let us know the resolution of your situation after you call Royal.

There was a system error earlier this week with my Grandeur Cruise in September ..... I had gotten a notice that it had dropped by 59% ($200 per person for a 5-nighter) -- so I check it out, it did take me to the RCL web site. When I called RCL, they said it was a system glitch and that it was NOT a valid rate .... about 8 hours later, I received a second notice that it went up 59% (back to normal)

On 5/19/2017 at 0:31 PM, Bridgetbien said:

I booked a two person inside room for a May 2018 cruise. I booked online through the Royal Caribbean website and got a very very good deal. I got an email that there was a problem with this booking and they are going to cancel it if I do not call them. Is it legal for them to change the price (increase) after booking? It wasn't through a third party website, it was their direct website. 

Is it legal.....I would read your cruise contract and I am sure they have covered themselves....they HAVE seen everything.   Would I pay the difference..yes...since hiring a lawyer probably far outweighs the price of the increase.  That would take years to settle.