UDP - So Many Questions!

csrsue

We've booked the UDP for our upcoming June cruise to Alaska, and we have soooo many questions.  I've tried to look, but we're still a little unsure how the whole thing works.  

Questions:  
Can we go to Izumi and get some sushi and soup maybe, say, around 5:00 (just an example for the times and restaurants), and then go to dinner at Chops around 6:30?  Or is it one restaurant per day for the dinner?

Can you order more than one entrée at the specialty restaurant?  I know lobster is excluded.  Not a problem there.  More than one appetizer or dessert?

Can we have appetizers and dessert at a specialty restaurant and then hop over to the MDR for the My Time dining and have something small?

Not saying we would do any of these things (or maybe we will!  Who knows.  LOL!) but we're just not sure how it works and don't want to miss out on anything or expect more than what we are allowed, if that makes sense.  I feel like I need this whole UDP explained to me on the most basic of levels.  Eeek!   We're experienced cruisers but have never done this dining plan.

Thanks so much! 🙂

My experience w the UDP is the answer is yes to all of the above.  The only hiccup I believe is that there has to be a certain buffer of time between reservations on a particular day if you're doing the same meal at 2 places (not sure if that also includes the MDR though).  The most important thing is make your reservations the first thing you do aboard the ship...find a quiet restaurant and do it there, since it's bonkers on the promenade deck once you board.

1 hour ago, lusimtk said:

Is it true it will be extremely hard to reserve a table in specialty restaurants? We are thinking of purchasing a package but wondering what will happen if we can’t get a table for majority of the nights? Do they offer a refund or what?

We have gotten a refund for the package before when we boarded and my mother wasn't willing to be flexible with what times and restaurants were available. 

Usually if you make it a point to make reservations as soon as you board, you won't be shut out if you are flexible with when you want to dine.

3 hours ago, lusimtk said:

Is it true it will be extremely hard to reserve a table in specialty restaurants? We are thinking of purchasing a package but wondering what will happen if we can’t get a table for majority of the nights? Do they offer a refund or what?

We just had our first RCL cruise and got the UDP and that was one concern I had 

We went right to one of the restaurants after boarding and made all our reservations and got everything we wanted - only thing we had to switch days for two as the one we wanted for that first night was full, but other than that, no issue

In the end for our week we did 5 dinners (ate in the MDR the other nights) and 3 lunches (sea days) plus one stop at Playmakers. So overall I think we got our $ worth for sure.

14 hours ago, TheMaxRebo said:

We just had our first RCL cruise and got the UDP and that was one concern I had 

We went right to one of the restaurants after boarding and made all our reservations and got everything we wanted - only thing we had to switch days for two as the one we wanted for that first night was full, but other than that, no issue

In the end for our week we did 5 dinners (ate in the MDR the other nights) and 3 lunches (sea days) plus one stop at Playmakers. So overall I think we got our $ worth for sure.

can you tell me what was the price per person?

we had UDP recently for the first time after always being a late seating family, we had zero problems with reservations and in fact the restaurants were half empty or even less attended than that after 7pm or so.  one of our favorite things to do is grab coffee and desert, you are free to mix it up however you'd like!  waiters were all great, very understanding and open to whatever we wanted to do.

we walked into Giovanni's on boarding day for lunch without a reservation, no problem.  made everything else from there.