Differences in Alaska sailings?

jbrinkm

We have a group of 12 looking at Alaska sailings for next summer on a Quantum class ship (6 of the 12 will be teens so we want the bells and whistles on the ship...), Ovation or Quantum, round trip from Seattle. There are sailings listed that look identical to me but are listed as different cruises -not just different dates. Which would you recommend for our group? Are the ones with better prices lacking something? Is it just the order of ports? I'd love feedback - which would your recommend (ship features and/or port itinerary)?

2023-02-26 (2).png

2023-02-26 (3).png

2023-02-26 (alaska).png

Look closely at the list of ports and you'll see they are slightly different. 

On the Ovation cruises, they all include Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. 
The 9/8/23 cruise also includes Endicott Arm and Sitka.
The 5/24/24 cruise also includes Endicott Arm but not Sitka.
The 9/6/24 cruise includes Sitka, but not Endicott Arm. 

The Quantum Cruises are identical except one goes to Skagway, the other goes to Ketchikan. 

I think you'd be missing out by not seeing the glaciers in Endicott Arm (9/6/24), so I personally wouldn't pick that one. But you really can't go wrong with any of the others IMHO. 

As for pricing, no, the cheaper ones are not missing anything--it will be an identical experience. The pricing differences are just based on demand and the number of rooms still available at any given time. (Plus some other mystery factors known only to RC. 😀)

If you numbered these from #1-5, top to bottom -  

#1 is out because it only makes 3 physical stops, why stop at 3 ports when you have options that stop at 4 in the same amount of time? 
#5 is out because it doesn’t see a glacier while all the others do

That leaves #2,3,4 which are all pretty similar. I’d go with Quantum over Ovation because it starts at $100 cheaper for the same class of ship! I personally chose the Quantum itinerary with Sitka because I wanted to do a marine life excursion and the location of Baranof Island is perfect for whales and sea lions! 

Very helpful, thank you! Thought on Skagway vs Ketchikan? Is there something unique to do in one of these port stops that we couldn't find in the other? We like wildlife, and as I said, will have teens with us, so active and or "cool" factor excursions would be great. 

P.S. The dates that are showing on my screenshots are not the dates we would go - we have to cruise in July due to differences in school schedules for the teens...

Here's a couple of posts from this summer - overall Alaska cruise guide and 10 things to do in each of those cities. I haven't been to either yet - doing Alaska in September. Have a blast!

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/alaska-cruises

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/04/08/top-10-things-do-ketchikan

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/04/04/top-10-things-do-skagway-alaska

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Very helpful, thank you! Thought on Skagway vs Ketchikan? Is there something unique to do in one of these port stops that we couldn't find in the other? We like wildlife, and as I said, will have teens with us, so active and or "cool" factor excursions would be great. 

P.S. The dates that are showing on my screenshots are not the dates we would go - we have to cruise in July due to differences in school schedules for the teens...

You need to look into the dogsled musher's camp excursions--I believe they are offered in Skagway, Ketchican, and Juneau. So much fun and I bet the teens would love it. And you get to hold puppies!