Closed captions on TV tip

Marc

I sometimes watch TV with captions enabled to help me follow dialogue when it’s not clear. I spent several minutes pressing every button on the TV remote to try to find some way to turn on captions. 

Apparently, not all remotes have the CC button. 🤨 Upon asking, a replacement remote was offered. Why not put these in all cabins in the first place since they seem otherwise identical? (I’ve not found  that this remote gives me any additional functionality with the TV over the originally-provided one.)

61779BA7-9966-4813-AEA1-FF33F28573F2.thumb.jpeg.8a14801c379fd822f5c5e39148a69450.jpeg

On 2/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, Marc said:

I sometimes watch TV with captions enabled to help me follow dialogue when it’s not clear. I spent several minutes pressing every button on the TV remote to try to find some way to turn on captions. 

Apparently, not all remotes have the CC button. 🤨 Upon asking, a replacement remote was offered. Why not put these in all cabins in the first place since they seem otherwise identical? (I’ve not found  that this remote gives me any additional functionality with the TV over the originally-provided one.)

61779BA7-9966-4813-AEA1-FF33F28573F2.thumb.jpeg.8a14801c379fd822f5c5e39148a69450.jpeg

Most people probably don't care about this thread, but I do.  My wife is deaf and depends on captions

21 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Most people probably don't care about this thread, but I do.  My wife is deaf and depends on captions

Then you'll want to be sure to request a remote with CC capability as soon after boarding as possible. It may be worth contacting Royal's special needs group and requesting it in advance (like one would do for requesting an extension cord for a CPAP or a medical refrigerator for medications requiring refrigeration).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 10:00 PM, Ampurp85 said:

But also keep in mind that you can put the CC on the TV and it does not work. I like CC and use it in my daily life but find it rarely works on the TVs Royal uses. If I am watching on-demand, then yes but just the regular channels, it often never comes on. 

I did see this accessibility page from Royal Caribbean that does does acknowledge that "only select programs are captioned." From my experience, content coming from the national channels (e.g., news channels) are more likely to have captions preserved, but channels featuring onboard content especially if it was produced onboard are far less likely to have captions.