What is 'the key' and it it worth it??

SePa

Sounds like you have some of the benefits already maybe from being in a Suite?

• Priority Embarkation
  • Embarkation Lunch
  • Drop off Cary On Bags
  • Priority Seating in Shows
  • Special times for some attractions
  • Wifi
  • Special Disembarkation Breakfast
  • Priority Tendering if there are any tender ports

If you're in a suite I wouldn't get it.  If not, to me it's only worth it if the total aggregate cost for the sailing is <$40 per person vs getting the Wifi only.  So, is it good?  yes, if it is cheap, otherwise you can probably use the money on the ship for other things that will give you greater value.

Thanks Matt- and BTW- LOVE YOUR VIDEOS I have never been on a cruise and I watch your videos non-stop.

I am not getting it. RC have been FANTASTIC with me as my son has ASD they have already told me I will embark at 10am! and get priority on ports and ship on boarding, as well as help and early access to MDR and help at the shows if we pre-book... honestly I can't fault them!!

When I had the Key, I found that there were differences depending on the ship and the port. Although many of the perks were identical, such as WiFi and delivery of my carry-on…it seemed other things varied. Like port embarkation and ship disembarkation priorities…entertainment admittance and seating areas…boarding lunch and final day breakfast.
Of course there were differences due to each ship’s entertainment and activity offerings. On the Anthem…NorthStar, iFly, bumper cars, and FlowRider had dedicated Key times. Although mostly during port or slow times. But to be fair, it was pretty cool being one of the few. 
I did get the Key many times, and felt it was a good purchase knowing I was getting the internet anyway. Especially when the price dropped. Of course the argument could be made that usually when the price dropped, so did the price for internet. But I still feel it was worth it.

I purchased the Key for our upcoming cruise.  The main draw was getting off the ship quickly on disembarkation day since we had a 5pm flight out.  Since booking, Delta has bumped our flight back twice.  We're not scheduled to leave after 6.  Hell, I could practically walk to the airport with that much time.  The rest of the Key benefits are pretty meh for us.  I'll probably cancel and just get the WiFi Stream + 1 and save $225.

For our next cruise on Liberty we purchased The Key even thought we are in a junior suite. Took into account the cost of internet package for 2 devices plus the cost of doing lunch at Chops on boarding day and that total was only $4 less than The Key total.

So for those $4 we get:

Priority Seating in Shows and Special Disembarkation Breakfast

Totally worth it in this instance. Most times it is not.

I think getting the Key debate is probably one of the most subjective topics I have seen on the board.  Lots of people love it, others don't see value in it.  I think the only thing we truly agree on is if you have a suite, you probably don't need it as a lot of the perks overlap.

My general rule of thumb is to buy it if it is within a few dollars difference of the internet package which I would buy anyway.  My wife and I are "Key" people, but others are not and seem to have wonderful trips too.  If you want a more streamlined boarding (and disembarkation) experience and want to avoid the crowds in the buffet on day one, then the Key is great.  If you are looking for seating in the theater, then it is just - meh.  If you have kids and want to take advantage of special exclusive time with things like the Flow Rider or other attractions, then it works, but it becomes a question of cost vs. reward when purchasing it with kids that only you can answer -- Were you really intending on buying a young kid an internet package anyway?

38 minutes ago, BMW Hoosier said:

Can I ask a silly question? Why do you need to get off early for a 5 PM flight?

Great question.  The thinking was that it normally takes a while to disembark and more time to get a rental car.  Add to that the possibility of the ship being delayed on Sunday morning.  Our first choice of flying out at Noon became 5pm out of an abundance of caution.  We didn't have many mid-day options in our price range, so 5pm it was.  That has slipped to 6 and we've scratched the rental car in favor of a shuttle.

Best thing about the Key which we did on our transatlantic last year was the lunch with the Chops Grill menu and the breakfast on disembarkation day. We bought it on sale at a cost of $4 more a day than just the cost of internet. With it we were able to board immediately when we arrived at the port which was only allow suite guests, pinnacle and key guests to board outside of the assigned boarding time.  

We also purchased it for our upconing cruise on Radiance in April even though the price, even sale price has gone up.