What to do in Costa Maya if Maya Chan is fully booked?

bcarney

Subject line asks it all: What to do in Costa Maya if Maya Chan is fully booked?  Almaplena Eco resort seemed like a comparable option, but the reviews are either 10 or 0 and nothing in between, and that concerns me.  Any other suggestions for a Maya Chan-like experience?

I really liked Almaplena pre-covid, but haven't had a chance to go back yet to see how it holds up.  It was very similar to Maya Chan but a little more isolated and relaxing in my opinion.  Travel time was basically identical since you used the "highway" instead of the beach road.  Not nearly as many people (only 1 other couple from a cruise ship when we went), but not as much choice in food/drinks.  No water toys, but the beach on both sides of the resort were uninhabited and accessible for a long stretch each way unlike Maya Chan.  I'm planning to go back in the near future, probably our next time after our upcoming Maya Chan visit to at least compare again.

• 2 weeks later...