Tours only in italian or spanish

Brandis

On the Wonder of the Seas TA in Oct. there are 4 ports of call in Spain, many of the shore excursions that currently are available are only held in spanish or italian. Do you think this is because they still have a limited amount of tour guides available who can speak spanish or italian only or might it be an indicator that the majority of the passengers will either be from Italy or Spain?

I also noticed that some exursions will only be bookable once on board, is this something new? In the past (pre-covid) all the tours I saw usually were bookable before boarding the ship.

It could be that English tours were already sold out. When we went to Italy during Oct, which is shoulder season, it was a hard time finding English tours at acceptable times because they are often the first to go. I can imagine with so much pent-up demand for travel and the travel season being so crazy, lots of excursions for European cities are full-up. 

As far as booking when onboard, it is not something new to European cruising and it could be a capacity issue. I.e., they want to see and control how many people take this particular type of shore excursion.

It's unlikely on a TA that the majority of passengers would be from Italy or Spain, although there may be decent-sized contingents from those countries. Note too that Spanish language excursions are not aimed exclusively at Spanish citizens but also at the many passengers from Latin American countries. 

As a related aside, anyone who has sufficient knowledge of secondary excursion language could actually benefit from booking them rather than the corresponding English language tour. On our recent Odyssey cruise, we booked two Spanish language tours that were essentially identical to the English ones but were considerably cheaper.