Covid Testing Question

We are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Boston, MA in late September 2022. Prior to our cruise we will be in the Boston area for 4 days of sightseeing. Is it best to schedule a covid test at a local Walgreens or CVS 48 hours prior to our cruise or just order the tests ahead of time through Royal Caribbean and test ourselves via online video? From what I've researched it appears the online testing would be cheapest but I'd appreciate hearing from others before we decided which way to go. Thank you. 

We (in North Carolina) used the Emed online proctored tests fairly easily.  Our local drug stores wanted over $100 for a Covid test for travel.   I don't know what sort of insurance you have.  Now if you have symptoms, then don't tell the drug store you want a test for travel, because you have symptoms that may or may not be Covid.  I am sure other members have experiences to share.  Safe travels!

I would order free tests from the government and then use something like Rapid Test & Trace or OnPoint as they tend to be cheaper than the Royal Caribbean tests. The advantage of this is that you can also wait until the last minute in case Royal Caribbean changes their policy.

3 hours ago, drb116 said:

I would order free tests from the government and then use something like Rapid Test & Trace or OnPoint as they tend to be cheaper than the Royal Caribbean tests. The advantage of this is that you can also wait until the last minute in case Royal Caribbean changes their policy.

Since you can get at least partially reimbursed for the purchased tests, the cost difference is a pretty much a wash. But no advanced costs using 3rd party proctoring of the free tests.

I appreciate all the replies. I like the idea of testing ourselves online while in our airbnb, pllus it would be less hassle and expensive than going to a Walgreens or CVS in a city we're not familiar with. We already have some Abbott BinaxNOW antigen self tests that we can take on our flight so we could just schedule an online session with either OnPoint or Rapid Test & Trace and our cost would be approximately $30 - $40 total for the two of us. Will Royal Caribbean accept this particular brand and testing method for proof of negative covid test?

IMG_6319.jpg

7 hours ago, Smitty29832 said:

I appreciate all the replies. I like the idea of testing ourselves online while in our airbnb, pllus it would be less hassle and expensive than going to a Walgreens or CVS in a city we're not familiar with. We already have some Abbott BinaxNOW antigen self tests that we can take on our flight so we could just schedule an online session with either OnPoint or Rapid Test & Trace and our cost would be approximately $30 - $40 total for the two of us. Will Royal Caribbean accept this particular brand and testing method for proof of negative covid test?

IMG_6319.jpg

Yes as long as the proctored result have name, DOB, date and negative results, you will be fine. 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:15 PM, Smitty29832 said:

IMG_6319.jpg

This particular one of the about isn't accepted because it's not monitored by a medical professional. The BinaxNow they're accepting is the "Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test"

28 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

This particular one of the about isn't accepted because it's not monitored by a medical professional. The BinaxNow they're accepting is the "Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test"

It is accepted if you use a 3rd party site like RT&T or OnPoint. That's the benefit of using them; you can use any FDA authorized test (i.e. free ones from the government).

Maybe this will help...

44 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It is accepted if you use a 3rd party site like RT&T or OnPoint. That's the benefit of using them; you can use any FDA authorized test (i.e. free ones from the government).

Maybe this will help...

I was literally just back on the forums to ask if anyone had experience with this. I saw a horror story from JJ cruise with one of these types of sites so I'm cautious. Glad to hear it worked well at the port.