Food onboard

Jamielcc

I've never been on a cruise and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is like at windjammer other cafes and dining options in general RE: food, ambiance and whether or not I should convince my parents to get a dining package or have a night at a specialty restaurant(is it worth the price?)

13 hours ago, Jamielcc said:

I've never been on a cruise and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is like at windjammer other cafes and dining options in general RE: food, ambiance and whether or not I should convince my parents to get a dining package or have a night at a specialty restaurant(is it worth the price?)

The complimentary food is fine, but you do receive more personalized service at the better specialty restaurants.  The venue variety depends upon the ship you are sailing.  Our Travel Agent gives us dinner-for-2 and lunch-for-2 coupons when we book a balcony.  We have also purchased a specialty lunch.  We find that is enough to have a change of pace from the Main Dining Room.   We consider Windjammer to be a breakfast/lunch venue.  We rarely eat there for dinner.  One never goes hungry on a cruise ship!  Absent coupons, I would suggest they try buying one specialty lunch (it's about half the price of a dinner) and see how they like it.

PS. If they are wealthy and are accustomed 5-star service, they'll want a dining package and likely a suite.  Just my 2 cents worth as a retired civil servant.

@Jamielcc My advice to a "First Time" cruiser is always eat at the included options.  In addition to eating dinners in the MDR (Main Dining Room - included in price of your cruise) you should also make sure you have at least one Breakfast and one Sea Day Lunch in the MDR (more if you want but at least one of each). 

My reason for this is it would be hard to make a judgement of what a cruise vacation is like if you start spending on upgrade that you may not get any value from.  There is always opportunity to try Specialty Dining if you decide you like cruising and plan to do another one.

Now my advice would change a little if your "First Time" is in a Grand Suite or higher, then I would tell you if on a ship with CK (Coastal Kitchen) eat there.  Of course if your lucky enough to do your "First Time" as a Star Class guest, just let your Genie guide you.

Of Course Matt's video is an excellent place to start your research.

I agree, enjoy the dinner service in the Main Dining Room.  If you don’t mind I recommend traditional dining, which is typically 5:30pm or 8:00pm.  It’s less work for you since you won’t need to make additional dining reservations (like My Time Dining-same venue but you need to schedule your dinners)

the Main Dining room is also open for breakfast and lunch if you are looking for that white table cloth service  as opposed to the “chaos” of the windjammer. 

if you wanted to try out the specialty dining I recommend to do so for lunch   It’s 1/2 the price, same food (maybe a slightly limited menu)

depending on the ship you might also consider the free options aside from windjammer (park cafe on Oasis class has the infamous roast beef salad, and a salad bar, some pre made salads and limited other sandwiches as well as a dessert case) Anthem has Two70-same as Park Cafe on Oasis.  Some ships have Loco Fresh-Mexican style food (quesadillas, make your own tacos) or there are very low cost options like Playmakers, Portside BBQ , and some others I’ve not been on the ship to visit. 

for breakfast I recommend the Solarium Bistro, it’s less crowded than the Windjammer, and  may not offer the huge variety as Windjammer but it does have a good variety ….AND you can get an omelette made-you must ask, it’s not advertised (some windjammers offer omelet stations but lines/waits can be long) The main dining room would be my second choice (but I’m rarely out of bed to enjoy it) followed by Windjammer as my last choice. (I’ll grab my breakfast and leave it to sit outside somewhere to eat-I bring my Yeti for coffee so no need to worry about refills)  All of these breakfast places are free and there may be other free venues for breakfast (like Johnny Rockets) but I’ve not used them.