PCR tests no longer free?

Bowen

Has anyone had to take a PCR test for travel since July 1st? I'm seeing on the Walgreens and CVS sites that the tests are no longer covered unless you meet some criteria (medically necessary, high risk, in contact with a COVID 19 positive case). Has anyone had to test under 12's unvaccinated recently? That's a hefty fee to pay to cruise, an additional $130 per child as far as I can tell.

• Bowen changed the title to PCR tests no longer free?

Both Walgreen and CVS have been charging for covid test for some time now depending on how you answer the questions on the screener.  When asked are you taking this test for travel purposes, if you answer yes to that question they will charge you the full amount for the test. 

To date I've never paid for a covid test at CVS or Walgreen and my most recent test was when I  got home to Chicago from Miami late last week after a 3 night weekend cruise July 1-4 followed by a few extra days staying with friends in Miami. I still have elderly parents one of which is immunocompromised so I alway test after I take vacation. 

If you can’t get the test free due to exposure to Covid (which we all are if we go in public) then perhaps pay for the unvaxxed who needs the test. I’d recommend the Walgreens NAAT PCR (which is a rapid style PCR and is acceptable for unvaxxed)  because you’ll have your result within an hour or two .  Then consider other testing for the rest of the vaxxed family members.

emed.com sells 6 pack of tests that include proctoring 24 hours a day, no appointment needed. $150 plus shipping. It’s good to have an extra test if 2 on hand in case of your human error or packaging glitch. 

https://onpoint-testing.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspOn-rfy-AIVuCqzAB3B0wuHEAAYAiAAEgIjZ_D_BwE Offers proctoring for $15 and you supply your own tests, whatever unexpired fda approved test you have (good time to use the free govt tests) you book your appointments ahead of time.

In June, my Wife cruised with her brother.  Nowhere in this area could we get a test with the results promised in 2-days, without going to a private lab, and yes, we paid $130 per person.  Traveling a day early, against the clock, and spending a full day in airplanes and airports, we just cannot take a chance in arriving at the port without results.  So we spent the $260 and it was a relief.

1 hour ago, WAYNO said:

In June, my Wife cruised with her brother.  Nowhere in this area could we get a test with the results promised in 2-days, without going to a private lab, and yes, we paid $130 per person.  Traveling a day early, against the clock, and spending a full day in airplanes and airports, we just cannot take a chance in arriving at the port without results.  So we spent the $260 and it was a relief.

Yeah I'll spend it if that's what it comes down to. Hopefully they deny my exemption and I can just get it canceled, but since we cruise in the off season I figure I'd better plan for the eventuality of spending the money on PCR tests.