Pier 91, Seattle, WA

My wife was just reading to me a post from another Social Media site about a person waiting to get on the Quantum at Pier 91, right now, 5:24 PM Central.  He/she is saying that they have been waiting in line to get into the terminal for over 2 1/2 hours and only half way there.  They are saying that the hold up is people not having their Canadian ArriveCan form done.  

Please, if you are traveling to Canada, be considerate and have the form completed, approved, and ready to go when you arrive at the port.  If you haven't heard of "ArriveCan", inform yourself with this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

2 hours ago, 10-42 said:

My wife was just reading to me a post from another Social Media site about a person waiting to get on the Quantum at Pier 91, right now, 5:24 PM Central.  He/she is saying that they have been waiting in line to get into the terminal for over 2 1/2 hours and only half way there.  They are saying that the hold up is people not having their Canadian ArriveCan form done.  

Please, if you are traveling to Canada, be considerate and have the form completed, approved, and ready to go when you arrive at the port.  If you haven't heard of "ArriveCan", inform yourself with this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

It's still at Pier 91

image.thumb.png.c19c6295324d2c07bbe8c0fe82fed5ce.png

i am sailing on the adventure of the seas canada/new england cruise out of Cape Liberty in 3 weeks. So far i received no emails from Royal about Arrivecan and when i checked their website for requirements for sailings out of Cape Liberty there is also nothing about the Arrivecan

i expect the checkin process will be a big problem like this for my sailing

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

i am sailing on the adventure of the seas canada/new england cruise out of Cape Liberty in 3 weeks. So far i received no emails from Royal about Arrivecan and when i checked their website for requirements for sailings out of Cape Liberty there is also nothing about the Arrivecan

Yep, it ain't advertised very well.  I got an email that at there very bottom of the flyer in that email it mentions the ArriveCan requirement.  I don't know if you got one yet, but be on the lookout for something like this and look at the 3rd or 4th paragraph from the bottom:

image.png.ef85a97dc64ce78bc79f860cf512dffd.png

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

They do list ArriveCAN registration as a requirement for Seattle embarkation.  In an earlier post in an different thread I said I didn't think it would be needed but I was VERY WRONG!

We sail in August out of Seattle and hopefully our fellow passengers will be more educated.  RCCL could take this opportunity to be proactive and send an email to emphasize then need to complete ArriveCAN registration to all passengers whose itineraries include Canadian ports. 

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

They do list ArriveCAN registration as a requirement for Seattle embarkation.  In an earlier post in an different thread I said I didn't think it would be needed but I was VERY WRONG!

Meeeeeee tooooooo.  But, I wasn't saying that it wasn't needed entirely.  I was saying that if I didn't get off the ship in Canada and I didn't put one foot on Canadian soil, I shouldn't need to create an account, input my personal information, wait for authorization, and then present it at embarkation.  But, I called ArriveCan directly and sure enough, they require it even if you just enter Canadian waters with the intent of stopping at a Canadian Port.

Thank you for the ArriveCan info.  I agree that all evidence points to this registration being a requirement to sail out of Seattle.  

Here is the thing though...you cannot complete the registration UNTIL 72 HOURS PRIOR TO EMBARKATION.  I think that this information is very important to be emphasized.  

This post got me into a panic and I spent an hour researching and then began the process.  After uploading ID info and Vaccine info, it stopped me and alerted me that I cannot input port info and continue because it was too early.

My suggestion is to download the App and begin pre-registration.  Don't forget to complete it in the three days prior to boarding.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Thank you for the ArriveCan info.  I agree that all evidence points to this registration being a requirement to sail out of Seattle.  

Here is the thing though...you cannot complete the registration UNTIL 72 HOURS PRIOR TO EMBARKATION.  I think that this information is very important to be emphasized.  

This post got me into a panic and I spent an hour researching and then began the process.  After uploading ID info and Vaccine info, it stopped me and alerted me that I cannot input port info and continue because it was too early.

My suggestion is to download the App and begin pre-registration.  Don't forget to complete it in the three days prior to boarding.

Yep, that 72 hour and much more info is included within the link I originally posted and I asked people to inform themselves.  I too, registered/initiated my account with ArriveCan a week or two ago.  But, you are right, the 72 hour rule along with the entire requirement needs to be emphasized at least as much as the COVID crap <(that's my opinion) is emphasized.  Both can either make you miss your cruise and/or hold up the line at embarkation.  And from what I understand, Pier 91 doesn't need any help slowing things down.    

On 5/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, 10-42 said:

I've looked back and can't find anywhere on the RC site that it says Arrive Can is required for departure from US ports, although I had previously asked our AAA agent if we needed to do anything for Canadian access on our trip based on my read of Canadian regulations.  She did not mention ArriveCan and instead just copied the same information I found on RC's page about the other COVID requirements (What Documents Do I Need For Boarding Day? | Royal Caribbean Cruises). I've been waiting for the first cruises to sail to see what is actually required!

Now that I've looked at the actual ArriveCan app, it is still confusing...do we really do this 72 hours before we sail (as suggested by the hold up of yesterday's ship)?  If so, what do we put down as our entry point? For instance, we are visiting Skagway and taking an overland trip into Canada on Day 4. We land at an Alaskan port so we can't put our entry point down as via water on the App (since we would have to specify a Canadian port).  We are going into Canada via land, but we don't know what entry point we are going through (I guess I could research the Klondike Highway further), and I guess I could submit the form on the departure day (Day 1).  If we put down our visit to Victoria on Day 7 as our Canadian entry port via sea, then we can't submit this form until we are within the 72-hour window for Victoria, which would be around Day 4 of our trip.  If we assume this form is required for sailing through Canadian waters on Day 1 or 2 as suggested in this thread, then again, what Port of Entry do we use and what day do we put down as our entry day?  The app only gives you certain options and your dates all have to be within 72 hours of entry.  

Perhaps this is why I read they canceled the Klondike Railroad Excursion, and perhaps our bus tour will be canceled too.  Or perhaps we will get clearer instructions...surely it's not as hard as I'm thinking it is, but at first glance into the ArriveCan App (which of course I can't fully lipopulate because my trip is at the end of July), it is not that obvious. I've written RC, asked the same questions, and suggested they update their website.  As my husband and I guessed a week or so ago, this first week of Alaskan cruising is clearly a shake down to work out the kinks and clarify the new challenges!  Hope it all gets worked out soon!

3 hours ago, MamaBear said:

I've looked back and can't find anywhere on the RC site that it says Arrive Can is required for departure from US ports,

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-documents-do-i-need-to-board

• ArriveCan App or Website: All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada. This applies whether you are departing on your cruise from Canada, ending your cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call. We are working with the Canadian government to make this process easier for guests arriving by cruise ship, and will ensure guests have guidance to complete this process smoothly onboard. Learn more about Canada travel requirements.

3 hours ago, MamaBear said:

I've looked back and can't find anywhere on the RC site that it says Arrive Can is required for departure from US ports, although I had previously asked our AAA agent if we needed to do anything for Canadian access on our trip based on my read of Canadian regulations.  She did not mention ArriveCan and instead just copied the same information I found on RC's page about the other COVID requirements (What Documents Do I Need For Boarding Day? | Royal Caribbean Cruises) Scroll down to the last paragraph on the page and you'll see what I copied and pasted earlier. I've been waiting for the first cruises to sail to see what is actually required!

Now that I've looked at the actual ArriveCan app, it is still confusing...do we really do this 72 hours before we sail (as suggested by the hold up of yesterday's ship)?  If so, what do we put down as our entry point? For instance, we are visiting Skagway and taking an overland trip into Canada on Day 4. We land at an Alaskan port so we can't put our entry point down as via water on the App (since we would have to specify a Canadian port).  We are going into Canada via land, but we don't know what entry point we are going through (I guess I could research the Klondike Highway further), and I guess I could submit the form on the departure day (Day 1).  If we put down our visit to Victoria on Day 7 as our Canadian entry port via sea, then we can't submit this form until we are within the 72-hour window for Victoria, which would be around Day 4 of our trip.  If we assume this form is required for sailing through Canadian waters on Day 1 or 2 as suggested in this thread, then again, what Port of Entry do we use and what day do we put down as our entry day?  The app only gives you certain options and your dates all have to be within 72 hours of entry.  There's no way to predict exactly what time a cruise ship will actually leave the dock/pier.  I'm guessing that they mean 72 hours from the scheduled time of departure.  If your aren't comfortable with that, don't complete the form until you have 65,63,...... hours until boarding time.  Also, the only scheduled place you are entering Canada is Victoria, that's what I would put down.  What would happen if you purchased the excursion into Canada, on the ship, post-departure?  I believe, that means it's a guess, the ArriveCan authorization will be good for the entire cruise and multiple locations but Victoria being the only scheduled, by the cruise line, venture into Canada.  If you still have questions, call ArriveCan, their phone number is in the website.

• Telephone: 1-833-283-7403 (toll-free from Canada or the U.S)

Perhaps this is why I read they canceled the Klondike Railroad Excursion, and perhaps our bus tour will be canceled too.  Or perhaps we will get clearer instructions...surely it's not as hard as I'm thinking it is, but at first glance into the ArriveCan App (which of course I can't fully lipopulate because my trip is at the end of July), it is not that obvious. I've written RC, asked the same questions, and suggested they update their website.  As my husband and I guessed a week or so ago, this first week of Alaskan cruising is clearly a shake down to work out the kinks and clarify the new challenges!  Hope it all gets worked out soon!

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

That's the part that makes being required to complete the form in order to BOARD the ship baffling.

Yep, I know!  Royal contradicts itself all over the place.  This is the first official document that I saw with the ArriveCan requirement.  Please note the heading of the document that was sent to me on March 28th via email, "WHAT TO BRING" (the top portion I posted earlier).  So, that is what I'm going off of and it is obvious by what has been reported that many, far too many folks are showing up without the completed form, either hard copy or in the App.  I'm guessing that the vast majority just didn't know about the requirement and the rest are, well, they are what they are.  

image.thumb.png.a993571022b1d0836e6bdf71ae6290b6.png

My OP here was about passengers not having all the documents and causing a large back-up at the terminal.  My wife read it on "Facebook", ugh.  But, in that case, apparently it was a true account of what was actually happening.  

Now, the information she is getting I hope is wrong, very wrong.  Her "Facebook, ugh, group is saying that things aren't looking too good on the Ovation right now.  Apparently, the ship is short staff/crew, the lines are long everywhere and the seas are horrible.  The seas can't be helped.  But, if what is being reported is true, the shortage of staff/crew is unacceptable.  I'd rather have my cruise canceled and get a full refund than cruise and feel that I wasn't getting what I paid for every time I went to a venue.  

However, I understand that this is the first real cruise of the season and they are still getting their sea legs.  So, I hope this cruise is a good shakedown for them and they get the wrinkles ironed out real quick, like before next Friday.  I feel bad for the people on this cruise right now, if the reports are true.

11 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

That's the part that makes being required to complete the form in order to BOARD the ship baffling.

I imagine because there isn't really a feasible way to complete it while onboard, if you don't have wifi. So, it would be nightmare on the Canadian port days sorting everyone out, especially when they have excursions, etc. - presumable easier to deal with it from the start .

22 hours ago, MamaBear said:

As my husband and I guessed a week or so ago, this first week of Alaskan cruising is clearly a shake down to work out the kinks and clarify the new challenges!  Hope it all gets worked out soon!

Is this a restart for Ovation or was it sailing somewhere else before shifting to Seattle? Does the ship get a compete turnover of crew when the itineraries change?  

Unless this is the first sailing for Ovation since the shutdown I expect the ship's crew to be on their game.

49 minutes ago, Toby said:

Is this a restart for Ovation or was it sailing somewhere else before shifting to Seattle? Does the ship get a compete turnover of crew when the itineraries change?  

Unless this is the first sailing for Ovation since the shutdown I expect the ship's crew to be on their game.

This is the first regular cruise of the Alaskan season for Ovation.  They had the Coast Guard inspection and actual systems shake down over a week ago.  Then they had a 2 or 3 day cruise last week that was a crew warm-up cruise with invited guests onboard.  From what I understand, it only had a few hundred non-crew aboard.  

Today's cruise is an 8 Day cruise with actual paying guests that started off in Vancouver and ends in Seattle on the 13th where I'll be getting onboard.  

1 hour ago, jrey51 said:

I imagine because there isn't really a feasible way to complete it while onboard, if you don't have wifi. So, it would be nightmare on the Canadian port days sorting everyone out, especially when they have excursions, etc. - presumable easier to deal with it from the start .

Except that it could all be done before getting to the embarkation terminal and not become part of the problem.  That's intended for those that have all the capabilities to do so but don't do so.