Is St. Thomas safe to do on your own?

TheRick

This might be a dumb question, but we can’t find an excursion on St. Thomas that has everything we want to do. We are thinking about starting out with a shuttle to Magens Bay, then shuttle back and take the Skyride, then go to the pirate treasure museum. Is it safe to go on our own in St. Thomas or would you recommend sticking with a sanctioned tour?

Lived on St. Thomas for a couple years a decade ago.  During the day I'd have no issue wondering about St. Thomas. 

As a resident there were places I'd avoid after dark but the same can be said in many places in America on the mainland.  This doesn't impact cruise ship guests since the ships are only there during the day.  Plus these were areas that aren't touristy in nature so most tourists wouldn't find themselves there after dark.  For example we had an office location downtown on the fringe of an area that made it wise to avoid going there late at night.  

During the day you should be fine.  If you were flying to St. Thomas as a land tourist and planned to venture out at night I'd offer more thoughts.