Comparing two itineraries and ships. Advice needed!

chilis

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to take our first cruise this fall as a first anniversary present.  We are planning to go on one of the Canada and New England cruises.  I'm having a hard time deciding between two of them.  I know we want to go in October, as that will be peak fall foliage time in most of our stops.

So, the comparison is between Grandeur of the Seas 9 day out of Baltimore, or Serenade of the Seas 7 days out of Boston.  The itineraries are essentially identical, with the exception being that Grandeur would start in Baltimore and then go to Boston, while on Serenade we would just get ourselves to Boston and start there.  Initially we were leaning towards the itinerary out of Baltimore, because we love Baltimore, and spent several days there on our honeymoon last summer.  But we also really want to spend more than one day in Boston, because we have never been there.  I was thinking that if we went into Boston on our own, we could spend a couple days there before boarding the ship, essentially making our own "port days."  The cost savings between the 7 and 9 day cruises would be negligible, because we would obviously have to pay for hotels in Boston, so money isn't really even a consideration.  

So, I guess my big question is, comparing Grandeur and Serenade, is there a big difference or is one better than the other?  Just some demographics on us, we're mid-thirties, no kids, and don't really drink much.  Got enough of that in our 20's, lol.  For first time cruisers, would 9 days on a cruise be awesome or maybe start to feel too long?  Any experiences you guys have on either ship, please share!  And thank you so much for all your information on this site.  I have spent days poring over it and getting progressively more excited.  :)

Fairly same onboard experience. Generally, I'd say 9 nights is better than 7 nights, so go for the 9 night cruise.  But if you really value Boston time (especially before your cruise), that might be a negligible difference and then go for Serenade.

But 9 nights on a ship is pretty sweet!

Boston is a great city and you make some very good arguments, but Matt's arguments about two extra days on a ship are valid, too. I have done Boston prior to a New England/Canada cruise and loved it, so I'd probably recommend going from Boston. I'm also a big fan of the Radiance class and was just on the Serenade this summer to the Baltics.

Fairly same onboard experience. Generally, I'd say 9 nights is better than 7 nights, so go for the 9 night cruise.  But if you really value Boston time (especially before your cruise), that might be a negligible difference and then go for Serenade.

But 9 nights on a ship is pretty sweet!

Our first cruise was 7 days.....and I wanted to stow away! 7 days was just not enough for us. Since that experience we now opt for the longer cruises or do two 7 day cruises back to back. Just can't get enough cruise time, I wish I lived in Florida where there are four ports to choose from.

Im just thinking out loud here, I dont expect that anyting i say will help but here goes.

Personally I would rather try the Serenade over the Grandeur, and would rather explore Boston, BUT I would rather do 9 nights. It really is a tough spot. I don't envy your position.

Maybe if we can get somebody to explain the differences between the ships it might help.

Also when you consider the time in the port city before the cruise you may choose the shorter cruise because of less time off work, even save time to give yourselves a recoup day or two when you get home.

By the sounds of things there is no wrong choice, hopefully you choose the one that suits you best.

BTW, If you have any questions about Halifax (I live here) don't be afraid to send me a message.

Have not done Serenade but have done Jewel one of her sisters and did Grandeur a long time ago and Vision one of her sisters not long ago ;)

From memory generally fairly similar ship classes ... on the smaller/older end of the fleet but that can be a good thing from an intimacy/service standpoint.

I would give an edge to Serenade for the "walls of glass" ... Radiance class was designed to make it easy to see out. Amenity wise I think generally similar and fairly limited, no ziplines, iceskating rinks, etc. but still have stuff to do :) Again maybe an edge to Serenade for the pool tables if you would use them ?

Perhaps look at is as two competing 9 day itineraries ... with one of them having an extended port stay on the beginning or end ....

We did the 7 night out of Boston on Serenade in late Oct, 2016, and caught the foliage at the best time (according to our tour guides...maybe they say that to everyone). Loved the whole trip!! Each city had something to offer. We love visiting lighthouses, and were able to see 10 throughout the week. Loved Peggy's Cove in Halifax, Stewman's restaurant in Bar Harbor, whoopie pies in Portland, and the reversing rapids in St John. And of course a good lobster roll anywhere up there.

Serenade is a fine ship. One kind of silly thing we liked was the shower door, they did away with the curtains (Enchantment still had curtains both times we were on her, but Freedom had the doors). Balcony was nice except when it got too cold and/or rainy. Rock wall was challenging, they let us go down the kiddie water slide, mini golf was fun, and the movie theater was a fun way to spend some time. Rita's Cantina was enjoyable, especially leaving Portland, watching the lighthouses as we left the bay. The MDR was average, nothing to write home about. Shows were so so. The pool tables seemed to be used quite a bit, though I never got the chance to try them myself.

Great trip, would totally do it again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much to everyone who replied!  I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back and say thank you.  :)

We did ultimately decide to go for the 7 day cruise out of Boston rather than the 9 day cruise out of Baltimore.  I went back and forth, but the real deciding factor was that if we go out of Boston we can hit up a Red Sox game the last weekend of the season.  So we'll be flying into Boston, walking the Freedom Trail, then going to Fenway Park before boarding the ship.  Can't beat that, I think.  

Resting Birds, thank you for your personal insight into this itinerary!  We are so excited.  We never thought we were "cruise people," because we aren't beach people.  But I have a feeling we will end up being cruise people after all, lol.  I've already started looking into Alaska and the Pacific Northwest for future destinations.