State Tax on Alcohol/Beer Drinks Before Sailaway?

It's been a long time since I've had a drink pre-sailaway.  Back when I was loyal to Brand X, if you purchased a drink before you got out into international waters, tax was added to the cost of your drink.  This is from Florida terminals.  

Since I've become loyal to Royal, circa 2017, I don't think I have purchased a drink before we got out into international waters.  Only because we had so much more to keep us busy with the Grandkids until the late evening hours.  So, not that it makes much of a difference, do they (Royal) (still) add tax to your drink(s) before you get into international water?

We were with a group on a ship sailing out of Miami (not RCCL).  We were late leaving port and when we had dinner (early seating). BIL ordered a few bottles of wine as a treat for our large table (multi-generation family cruise) and was dinged for the tax as we had not quite entered Intl. waters.  He was not happy due the fact that it was not our fault that the line had delayed the sailing time from the port.  If we had left port on time, there would have been no issue. I don't remember if they gave him some sort of credit. 

We did not get charged when sailing on Navigator of the Seas (RCL) out of Los Angeles in December 2021 nor in March 2022.

We did get charged when we sailed on NCL out of Los Angeles in 2020. (Right before shutdown.  Just made it back home safely.  Eeek!)