How far to book in advance for bigger cabins?

DavidSodapop

After our first cruise a couple of weeks ago we discovered that the bigger the stateroom that happier we are. That being said I looked at several Caribbean destinations this spring I was interested in had nothing larger than a jr suite. Is booking a year out really necessary for those cabins? I'm really not a year-out passenger (I'm way too impatient) --- but I will do it if necessary: our suite really made the trip for us so I want to find one on the newer ships with more kids activities. Or is it time for me to employ a travel agent? Any thoughts?

I booked my Owner's Suite for my next cruise on Oasis about 10 months in advance.  However, I checked last week (4-5 months before my sailing) and there was still 1 owner's suite left.  There are no Star Class suites available any more on the RCL website for this particular sailing.  However, there are several Sky Class (grand, crown loft, 2 bedroom aqua-theater) still available.  I took a peak just now on an Allure of the Seas Sailing for the exact same dates as my Oasis sailing.  There ware still some Owner's suites available, plenty of the other types of suites as well.  I guess it's just hit or miss depending on the sail date, ship, and current prices.  The best advice is to just reserve what you want as soon as you can and just pay the deposit.  It's fully refundable until 90 days before your sailing.  You can even call RCCL or your TA and have your deposit moved to a different sailing if you find another sailing you like better than the one you already booked. 

Also, if you book a sailing then find later that it has a better price (as long as you're more than 90 days before the sail date), then you can call to get your sailing re-priced to the then current prevailing rate.

If you want some of those "premium" standard cabins like the Ben & Jerry Sweet or Freedom/Voyager deck 7 or deck 10 corners I'd be looking at them when they become available for booking.

You do have to give accolades to Risk for turning an undesirable Promenade view room with an obstructed view into one of the most sought after. It's sort of like Disney putting in the "magic portal" virtual windows. They became so popular that at times they are priced higher than actual ocean view cabins.

I try to book every cruise, and I have 12 booked right now, at least 12 to 18 months in advance. I have several 2018 cruises book going through the end of 2018 and am now looking at 2019. If you book and decide to cancel there is no problem with a cruise booked that far in advance, also you get the benefit of cruise prices going down and getting the discount, or the prices could go up, which they usually do as soon as cruises are posted, and you have saved money. If you're not sure where you want to cruise you can put one or two on reserve and make your decision in a month or two.

For our Christmas sailing next week, there was nothing above junior suites available when we looked.  I would check back every day, and occasionally something would pop up in sky class.  Then final payment date hit and when people had to pony up the $$$, they backed out.  We booked 2 star class rooms right around final payment date.  So check back often!

I didn't realize they would reprice to the lower price if a sale occurs after you've put down your deposit...okay that is great advice I will do that!! Thanks as always for great support!

David

Yea, it's an awesome perk.  Just remember that once you are past your final payment due date (90 days before sailing), you're locked to whatever price you have at that time.  If you create a booking that's for less than 90 days away, then you have 48 hours to find a better price.