is it weird if i dont do excursions?

cjappert

We'll be going to 4 ports.

Labadee we will obviously get off the boat, I rents beach chairs and my husband will do the zipline.

St-Marteen we have Leo Brown booked,

Puerto Rico, My husband will be doing the Tordo Verde zipline thing. I have nothing planned on this day.

St-Kitts, neither of us have anything planned, I was thinking maybe going to Nevis but still not sure how to go about it,

Is it ok to stay on the boat or is it weird? Will I be missing out on anything great on those 2 islands? Any recommendations?

Definitely not weird, plenty of people do it.

But I agree with DocLC about San Juan. Don't need to book an excursion, just walk around Old San Juan -- should be fine on your own. If you have a National Parks Pass, bring it as it will get you into the old forts. I've been there twice and still look forward to having a walk around next cruise.

To use my euphemism, you can "swim with the dolphins" just so many times.  It is nice to enjoy the ship sometimes with the crowds gone.  Besides you will still get FREE FOOD while aboard and get your perfect lounge chair at the pool!   After many trips to Cozumel, I get off the ship only to go to the pharmacia to pick up necessary items. With the upcoming RCL Freedom cruise we are still trying to find something worth the money.  We might not book anything this trip.  

I had no idea about San Juan. Is there anything specific worth seeing?

"Old San Juan" is the second oldest European settlement in the "New World" (oldest in a US Territory) and it has been well preserved. A great place to just walk around to take in the architecture or eat at one of the great restaurants. This article by Jeff Stamer is oriented around great places to take photos, but could also be used as a basis for a self-guided walking tour of Old San Juan (it includes a map).  Castillo San Felipe Del Morro (a.k.a. El Morro) is the old citadel/fort and is a highlight along with its counterpart Castillo de san Cristobal. I think there's also a (free?) trolley that runs between some of the historic sites.

thank you so much! I think ill plan a couple of hours to just go walking around with my husband and kids once he's done his (insane) zipline excursion!

I love Old San Juan so much we try to go a couple of days early when we cruise from there. I love walking around the city at night and feeling it's energy!

Labadee we will obviously get off the boat, I rents beach chairs and my husband will do the zipline.

St-Marteen we have Leo Brown booked,

Puerto Rico, My husband will be doing the Tordo Verde zipline thing. I have nothing planned on this day.

St-Kitts, neither of us have anything planned, I was thinking maybe going to Nevis but still not sure how to go about it,

Is it ok to stay on the boat or is it weird? Will I be missing out on anything great on those 2 islands? Any recommendations?

Not weird at all. For a lot of us, this is the "luxury hotel at sea" concept -- Why leave that? My wife and I will get off the ship. But then we just spend a little time in the port area, look at a souvenir shop, grab a bite to eat and a local beer, and get back on the ship.

great idea! thank you!

Do you know about how long the walk back is? we'll have our 3 young kids with us so I want to make sure they don't complain for hours lol

It mighty be too far for young kids, bury you can always go the free shuttle back into OSJ or grab a taxi for about $10.

I'll add to the "not weird" crowd as well. I have only  done one booked excursion yet in all my cruises. I did have another one booked for the stingrays in Cayman, but due to weather we never made it there.

Usually I am much more of a get off the ship and explore type of person. I do my research ahead of time as to what I want to check out, where I want to eat or good watering holes. But I do enjoy the ship so much that it is nice to get back before everyone else as it is much quieter and less line ups for everything.

At any new port, even if I didn't have an excursion booked I would want to at least get off for a cpl hours to say you have actually been there and to experience or sample a little something from that country.