Messaging Party Members on the same Cruise

About a week ago, I asked a question about walkie talkies and you guys gave me great info on how they do not work well on the ships.  Thanks!

Now...I read somewhere that the RCCL app allows you to chat with other cruisers in your party once you are on the ship's wifi.  

I checked the app and indeed there is a messaging icon on the top right corner of the app.  

1. Can anyone confirm that this icon works like sms/chat/other type messaging and is free of charge?  

2. Is it available on the Ovation of the Seas? Or limited to certain ships?

3. If I choose to buy the Voom wifi deal, and my kid's iphone is under my name, do I click 2 devices for one cruiser?  The cost is much more if I add him to the Voom, but technically speaking, that phone is mine and under my name.

Thank you in advance and if anyone needs clarity as to my questions, please let me know.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Can anyone confirm that this icon works like sms/chat/other type messaging and is free of charge?

Been some time since I'm used it. It does work like most other chat apps, biggest catch is the notifications can be spotty. Other catch is I think the user needs to have an account with Royal. 

For now the chat feature isn't free, cost is around $2 a day per chat user, per day for the remaining length of the voyage.

Is it available on the Ovation of the Seas? Or limited to certain ships?

It is available on Ovation, last I heard is was available fleet wide now.

If I choose to buy the Voom wifi deal, and my kid's iphone is under my name, do I click 2 devices for one cruiser?  The cost is much more if I add him to the Voom, but technically speaking, that phone is mine and under my name.

You'd pick two devices for one cruiser. Once onboard you'll create an account and redeem access for a two device Voom plan. The account then would allow two devices to be logged in at once. If for some reason a different device needs to be logged in, when you log in it will prompt that it'll logoff the longest connected device,

It works like many other messaging features on social media; such as Facebook and Instagram instant messaging features. In older days the disadvantage is that unlike text, you are not notified of the message when received but must continually check messages to see if you’ve received any. I’m not sure if that is still the case. 

It doesn't matter who's name the device is in. Your Voom package determines the number of devices which can be logged into Voom at one time. Whatever device you want to use, you just login.

We have used what's app when sailing on ships without the messaging feature. It worked well and didn't cost anything above the wifi package we had already purchased. 

I also found that you could just pay for the chat function on the app, we didn't purchase an internet package on our most recent sailing and we were both able to use the chat feature just fine on the ship. AND I wasn't limited to chatting with only my hubby, as we made friends on the ship we added them to the chat, so we could communicate that way as well to make plans to meet up for late night drinks, etc.