What happens if adult child does not show up for cruise?

shorebird618

If the 3rd person in a cabin fails to show up at the pier their taxes and port fees are refunded.  No other money paid for that guest is returned or credited.

5 minutes ago, BrianB said:

There is no minimum for any room.

Yes there are and Royal can move people from a cabin that don't meet the minimums so that cabin becomes available for a group with the right number in the party.  That is why the common knowledge is to avoid cancelling excess guests and have them no show.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

If the 3rd person in a cabin fails to show up at the pier their taxes and port fees are refunded.  No other money paid for that guest is returned or credited.

Yes there are and Royal can move people from a cabin that don't meet the minimums so that cabin becomes available for a group with the right number in the party.

I didn’t know that. So when I cruise solo in a suite that can hold six…they can move me?

21 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I didn’t know that. So when I cruise solo in a suite that can hold six…they can move me?

The policy isn't applied to double occupancy cabins.  The policy is for those staterooms that can hold 3 or more.  

A couple booking a cruise normally can't book a cabin that can hold 3 or 4 or 5 guests.  There are exceptions close in or when Royal waives the rules just to get people on the ship. 

A solo typically can't book a 2 bedroom GS or ATS or a VP.  During the pandemic they made exceptions due to low capacity but typically higher capacity cabins, suite or non-suite can't be booked by a solo.

Recently I moved my 2D balcony to a 3D aft balcony a week away from the cruise.  The reservations team put me on hold and obtained special permission from revenue management so I could be solo in a 3D since 3D can sleep 3 in this cabin.  It was noted in my record so someone else in revenue mgmt wouldn't kick me out of the cabin and put me in a double occupancy cabin.  

I've booked solo in a 2 bedroom in Aqua Theater Suite during the pandemic.  Normally it requires two guests minimum.  It let me so I booked it.  I knew Royal could move me when I booked it but this was for a June cruise that I figured might end up cancelling anyways.  It did.   

Maybe I’m a little dense but….I’ve been booking nothing but suites…I especially love the Crown Loft Suites on Oasis. I have five  booked for next May, Sept and October when she is back in Bayonne. Or I book family JS on the Anthem because I like the extra room, and the longer couch. I’ve never had to get approval…I do it online. Do I need to worry that I can be bumped by a group…even though I pay double occupancy…(well, actually now it’s 150% due to my C&A level…yay!)…again, I cruise solo. 
**Also, I did book an Aqua Theater Suite, solo, on Oasis without an issue…but then changed it when I read everyone’s comments about how they liked the Loft Suites better.

4 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Maybe I’m a little dense but….I’ve been booking nothing but suites…I especially love the Crown Loft Suites on Oasis. I have five  booked for next May, Sept and October when she is back in Bayonne. Or I book family JS on the Anthem because I like the extra room, and the longer couch. I’ve never had to get approval…I do it online. Do I need to worry that I can be bumped by a group…even though I pay double occupancy…(well, actually now it’s 150% due to my C&A level…yay!)…again, I cruise solo.

The CL are probably safe since most of the time these are booked by couples so while it can sleep 4 they don't seem to aggressively enforce it for these suites.

Family JS is a suite I'd be more concerned with.  During a peak period like March break or the summer I would not be surprised to learn they kicked a solo out of a family JS (or any J3).  That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen but if revenue mgmt thinks they can get a new booking for a family of 5 in a JS occupied by a solo they'll move you to a J4 if there is one.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

The CL are probably safe since most of the time these are booked by couples so while it can sleep 4 they don't seem to aggressively enforce it for these suites.

Family JS is a suite I'd be more concerned with.  During a peak period like March break or the summer I would not be surprised to learn they kicked a solo out of a family JS (or any J3).  That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen but if revenue mgmt thinks they can get a new booking for a family of 5 in a JS occupied by a solo they'll move you to a J4 if there is one.  

When I booked our May 2022 cruise, the cabin with two could select a JS or above that slept 3+. Only interior, OV and balcony were limited to the double occupancy.

13 minutes ago, XtremeGK said:

When I booked our May 2022 cruise, the cabin with two could select a JS or above that slept 3+. Only interior, OV and balcony were limited to the double occupancy.

Right.   Like I said during the pandemic they are allowing some deviations, at least for now.

They allowed me to book solo in a 3D balcony that sleeps four in May to Alaska but knowing what could happen over the coming months I moved myself to a 2D balcony for two guests.

11 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I’m curious as to why you would book a 2 bedroom if cruising solo? Was it just simply because you could?

Aquatheater Suite and Star Class.  The one bedroom ATS is not Star.  

I've avoided two bedroom GS because the few extra dollars over a regular GS is not worth it - I don't need two bedrooms.  If a two bedroom GS was cheaper than a one bedroom GS, I'd book the two bedroom after verifying I'm safe.  That has actually happened before (2 BR cheaper than 1 BR) but I wasn't interested in that sail date.

As far as the OP........as other stated you can keep rooms by saying the pax is a no-show. You can also swap out names, which won't trigger any reprices or downgrading.

On another note, as a mostly solo traveler I can see booking larger rooms because you want the amenities/Perks. 

When we booked our Allure 2BR GS it was almost $1000 cheaper than the 1BR GS. I believe if the cabin is made for 3+ people there has to be at least 3 booked. The 2BR can accommodate 8 people and it was only 3 pax. I am glad we did because we ended up adding 2 people.