Anthem of the seas july 2015

Guest johnnywackles

Guest johnnywackles

Hi Guys,

My wife 2 boys 17 15 and myself will be breaking our cruise virginity on this ship and we are all very excited about it would love to hear from other couples going on the same cruise who maybe have cruised before and can help us with any tips hope to hear from you soon

john wallace

Hi Guys,

My wife 2 boys 17 15 and myself will be breaking our cruise virginity on this ship and we are all very excited about it would love to hear from other couples going on the same cruise who maybe have cruised before and can help us with any tips hope to hear from you soon

john wallace

The best tip I can give to a new cruiser is to go with no expectations and don't over schedule yourself. There is no need to make spreadsheets (those are for work not vacation) for dining or daily activities. Get on the ship knowing you're going to have the vacation of your lifetime and you will. There are many knowledgeable people here that can help answer all your questions. Welcome!  :)

The best tip I can give to a new cruiser is to go with no expectations and don't over schedule yourself.

Ain't that the truth.  Our first cruise, our honeymoon, was very port-intensive - 6 islands in 7 days.  For some reason we scheduled an excursion for each morning and each afternoon, or full day excursions.  By day four we were exhausted!  

I enjoy the pre-cruise planning because to me it's fun.  When it comes to vacations, I'm definitely type-A and like to research my options but again, I enjoy all of it.

Matt, I am the exact same way. If I am going on an Oasis-Class ship the second royalcaribbean.com will let me schedule shows and restaurants I am right there doing it and loving every minute of it!

I think it comes down to each individual and how they like to enjoy their vacation. Some like me like to spend months researching their ports of call and the ship so as to get more time to do extra things on board instead of sitting in your cabin trying to decide what to do and others like to just go with the flow and see what each day brings which is just as good because sometimes the days you don't plan are the best because you have no expectations.

I would suggest a little research though as it can save you money as well as time. For example on our cruise last year we used Google maps and the Internet to look at our ports of call and check out other options for sightseeing.This worked really well especially in Lisbon where we only spent €15.00 each to see everything and this was done by purchasing a ticket from the tour buses (which are normally by the port) which included use of 4 different bus tours around the city , use of the trams and entry to one of the attractions all of which you could hop on or off all day this was massively cheaper than booking with RC.

One thing that is guaranteed though is you will have a fantastic time and be hooked by the fun and romance of cruising.

Massive welcome to the blog John :)

I like to do heavy research on the ship and the destinations ahead of time and get some ideas in my head of what I want to do.

But let it go, relax and enjoy myself once I am onboard.

For example, we were on Allure recently. Pre-booked tickets for all the shows, booked Rita's Cantina for sailaway, had some ideas for the excursions in the different ports.

Once we got on board and were busy relaxing though we skipped a couple of the shows because we didn't feel like "rushing" to get ready, just stayed on the boat in Falmouth and chilled, etc.

I feel like this way I know what my options are so I don't get the "man I wish someone had told me there was a zipline on this boat" feeling, but at the same time can focus on relaxing once on the cruise.

I'm not against pre-planning, and yes you should make reservations for restaurants and shows in advance. I was one of the first to book shows right when they opened for booking on Oasis. But when I see people walking around the ship with a day planner or highlighting the cruise compass, there is my issue. But if you wan to do that, then more power to you.

I agree that doing research and as much pre-planning as possible can make your cruise more enjoyable since you've done most of the work before actually getting on the ship. The best consumer is an educated one. I take a complete vacation stance when I go on vacation and leave all the details to someone else once I start the vacation.

The beauty of a cruise vacation is you can do as much as you want or nothing at all. And how can you resist a view like this?

A-cabana-in-Labadee.jpg?fedd7a

Every time I come back from a cruise I'm amazed at how just a day or so before I was on this city sized ship in the middle of the ocean visiting far away places and now I'm back home in my town going to work. It just doesn't seem right.

I would suggest a little research though as it can save you money as well as time.

Well said.  You don't have to go crazy with planning.  But I do think a little research goes a long way to save you time and money.  The more research you can put in, potentially more savings for you.  This goes with anything really, being an informed consumer is always to your advantage.