Ultimate dinning package

Timp1966

Helps to know what ship you are on, because that determines what Specialty restaurants are available. 

But basically the UDP allows you to eat in any of the specialty restaurants whenever they are open, ie lunch is only served in some of them and then only on sea days, never on port days.  Know that most if not all the time you have to have reservations to get in, there are a few exceptions, when you might be able to walk up and get in, mainly lunch or breakfast.  Reservations are able to be made on board, unless in a suite.  You can go to any dining venue, that is manned one you board to make reservations, they can even be made at the main dining room if the Maitre D is there

1 hour ago, Timp1966 said:

First time cruiser (honeymoon) can someone explain the ultimate dinning package? They have a 50% off for our cruise but I don’t quite understand what it all entails. TIA. 

Since this is your first cruise, I would recommend not doing the dining package.  I’m sure the food in the speciality dining locations is amazing, but the included options are equally amazing.  We’ve never felt that we are missing out by only eating the included options.  on the larger ships (such as Oasis class) there are so many included options that have a wide range of items. 

Your first cruise is the one where you can feel out what you’ve got and learn what you may want to add in the future.  I do recommend getting a beverage package, we do the Refreshment Package and enjoy our times.

2 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

Since this is your first cruise, I would recommend not doing the dining package. 

I second this, with one caveat; it depends on how long your cruise is. 
if your cruise is 7nights or less, for your first time I don’t recommend getting an unlimited package. If you are on a quantum or oasis ship you’ve already got a few dinner options including (at minimum) the main dining room, buffet, and solarium bistro*. Try each of them twice and you’ve got heaps of variety and perhaps choose one of the specialty that appeals to you for the the spare night. 

*this is not to mention the large variety of other casual eateries such as the dog house, cafe 270, park cafe, el loco fresh etc. 

I say this as a person that did buy a dining package on my first cruise. However, it was a 9 night cruise on voyager of the seas which literally had a grand total of 3 included places to eat for all meals: main dining room, buffet, and cafe promenade. my next cruise is on a quantum class ship for 12 nights and I’ve bought a 5 night package. With 7 nights and all breakfast/lunches still to spend at the included venues I’m worried I’ll miss out on all the tasty included food! Go with a package if you really want to, but don’t get the unlimited one. There is good food on the ship at the included venues which is well worth trying.