Drink Packages

What percentage of people actually purchase them.    They would be worth it on cruising days but can"t seem to justify one for days. in port.  Any thoughts.  Going on Brilliance of the Seas in Sept. from Spain.   This will be 7th cruise so not a newbie at this point and time.  Thank you

What percentage of people actually purchase them.    They would be worth it on cruising days but can"t seem to justify one for days. in port.  Any thoughts.  Going on Brilliance of the Seas in Sept. from Spain.   This will be 7th cruise so not a newbie at this point and time.  Thank you

I would guess there is a package for every guest....but I can tell you I would not spend $40 to $70 per day if I were at home.  As a matter of fact, I wouldn't spend that much a month at home.  Not knowing how many purchase on line before boarding, I can tell you for sure I have seen lines at the desk waiting to purchase on board.  I counted $1500 purchases from guests in 30 minutes.  It must be the perfect deal for someone.  

I looked at the RCCL site for September from Spain and most are very port oriented, in other words, many ports. It would be up to you to decide if you can drink enough to warrant it. I don't drink liquor, just sodas, juice, water, etc., so I always get the Soda Package. Royal's rule is you can't carry any drinks onboard, but again, there are many people that break that rule, by hiding it in luggage, etc.

I'd look at your itinerary and think about what you'd drink each day.  Espresso/specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice, frozen cocktails, beer/wine, mixed drinks, etc.  Then figure some approx costs (say, $3-4 coffee, $3 juice, $6 beer, $7 wine, $11 cocktails...whatever you think is appropriate based on your prefs and menus found online) and add it all up.  Compare that to the price of beverage packages, just remember that for a la carte you have to factor in an 18% gratuity, and for the drink packages they sometimes include gratutites, and other times they don't - check the fine print.

What percentage of people actually purchase them.    

It's a great question and I doubt RC will disclose that kind of info.  My sense of it based on my experiences is that a good amount of guests purchase them.  Not sure it's up to 50%, but I tend to see a lot of guests with the package.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the RCCL site for September from Spain and most are very port oriented, in other words, many ports. It would be up to you to decide if you can drink enough to warrant it. I don't drink liquor, just sodas, juice, water, etc., so I always get the Soda Package. Royal's rule is you can't carry any drinks onboard, but again, there are many people that break that rule, by hiding it in luggage, etc.

We blatantly carried on soda and water on our Baltics cruise after boarding. It wasn't in any bags or disguised in any way. We were prevented from bringing it in or even questioned about it.

We were torn on purchasing the drinks package or not. In the end I got the Ultimate Package for my wife and I will probably end up getting the Royal Replenisher Package (I really don't drink that much alcohol so makes little sense for me). We are not 100% sure we will 'make our money' on it but we thought we would give it a go for our fist RCCL cruise and keep a tally etc and see how it worked out.

One advantage of the package is its is likely to encourage us to do is try something new.... Even though we could probably save money by putting money aside until the cruise and then just putting that on our account the reality is mentally we probably wouldn't take a 'risk' on something new knowing we had to pay later... since it is already paid for though there is no risk (Yes I know it is a head game.... but I swear I've been tested and am relatively normal... at least that is what my wife told me and she's got a PhD in Psychology... either that or I am the live in experiment). 

I'm also not much of a drinker, but also have a Ph.D. in Psychology. In my opinion, the Royal Replenish package is the best in terms of price point and what it offers. Also, if you stock up on bottled water for excursions and order a specialty coffee with meals, it's not hard to break even.