Confused by WIFI...

Jacie5

Second time cruiser first time poster over here...

We are traveling on Vision of the Seas on Saturday with a big group (29 people). Usually I don't opt for wifi because I think it takes away from relaxation, but I think we might want a hookup to keep in touch with the others in our party when we are on the boat. I CANNOT find clear answers to my questions and of course emailing RCL a few days ago elicited no response. From what I can tell, Vision does NOT support the free chat app within the RCL app, is this correct?

And my second question is if I purchase the wifi plan for four devices (this makes it essentially cheaper per device), does it matter whose devices use my plan? So for example one family member from each cabin (and with different reservations) can each take one of the four devices to make it easier to keep in touch with other cabins.  Anyone have experience with this? I don't see how'd they know which device belongs to which room/reservation but I don't want to purchase it and regret it. Thanks!

Welcome to the blog, Jacie5.

No, unfortunately, Vision does not have free chat.?

Yes, if you have a 4 device package, any 4 people on any 4 devices can be "on" at the same time.  It doesn't matter which room they are in or which devices are activated.  If you just want 1 person from each of the rooms to be able to communicate with the other 3, this should work.

Only two ships currently have the chat available through the app and Vision is definitely not one of them.

And the four device plan just means that four devices can be logged in at the same time on one user account.  You create your user login and password and can give it out to whomever you like.  When four devices are logged in the 5th device that tries will get a notice that they're about to knock off one of the devices if they choose to continue to log in.  You can effectively have 100 different devices able to use the same account, just not more than four of them simultaneously.

17 minutes ago, Jacie5 said:

From what I can tell, Vision does NOT support the free chat app within the RCL app, is this correct?

That is correct.

18 minutes ago, Jacie5 said:

And my second question is if I purchase the wifi plan for four devices (this makes it essentially cheaper per device), does it matter whose devices use my plan?

Nope. If you buy the 4-device plan, it just means 4 devices may be logged in at once.  There is no limit on how many devices may use the plan overall, just 4 at one time.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Only two ships currently have the chat available through the app and Vision is definitely not one of them.

And the four device plan just means that four devices can be logged in at the same time on one user account.  You create your user login and password and can give it out to whomever you like.  When four devices are logged in the 5th device that tries will get a notice that they're about to knock off one of the devices if they choose to continue to log in.  You can effectively have 100 different devices able to use the same account, just not more than four of them simultaneously.

So I guess you could communicate via WhatsApp or WeChat then. Not ideal since people might get the messages later than planned, but still better than nothing?

4 minutes ago, KWong said:

So I guess you could communicate via WhatsApp or WeChat then. Not ideal since people might get the messages later than planned, but still better than nothing?

Exactly.  You won't get the messages until you are connected back to the internet again.

Cruise ships existed before people had cell phones!  Just plan particular meeting times and places and congregate then.  It is possible..may not be as convenient, but it can be done!

21 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Exactly.  You won't get the messages until you are connected back to the internet again.

Cruise ships existed before people had cell phones!  Just plan particular meeting times and places and congregate then.  It is possible..may not be as convenient, but it can be done!

We used the dollar store magnetic whiteboard solution. Worked just fine but chat would be nice all the same.