Holiday Gifts?

Carley

My family will be cruising on Oasis December 15th. Since our trip will end very close to Christmas holiday, I thought about leaving our stateroom attendant a little holiday gift. Has anyone ever done this before? Have any suggestions on what would make a thoughtful gift? Or perhaps a gift is inappropriate? All opinions welcome!

1 minute ago, Carley said:

My family will be cruising on Oasis December 15th. Since our trip will end very close to Christmas holiday, I thought about leaving our stateroom attendant a little holiday gift. Has anyone ever done this before? Have any suggestions on what would make a thoughtful gift? Or perhaps a gift is inappropriate? All opinions welcome!

They do not have a lot of space to store things in their cabins, so I would think something consumable might be more appreciated along with some extra cash as a gift.  Maybe some form of candy/snacks from where you are from if there's something local to you. 

If you want to bring some small holiday themed items to decorate your cabin that you don't mind leaving, you could also offer those up for them to keep when you leave.  

1 minute ago, Carley said:

We almost always bring a gift for our cabin attendant.  It doesn't have to be much...just the thought.  The thing to keep in mind is that they have very little room in their stateroom so whatever you decide on...smaller is better.  Of course, cash is King...and we always tip in cash, but I try and bring something else, in addition to the money.

It's harder when you do not know whether you will have a female or male attendant.  Of course, there are plenty of stateroom attendants who do not even celebrate Christmas. ...but something like holiday candy is pretty safe.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

They do not have a lot of space to store things in their cabins, so I would think something consumable might be more appreciated along with some extra cash as a gift.  Maybe some form of candy/snacks from where you are from if there's something local to you. 

If you want to bring some small holiday themed items to decorate your cabin that you don't mind leaving, you could also offer those up for them to keep when you leave.  

Wow...identical, simultaneous posts !!!  Great minds....

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

That’s a great idea! I’m bringing battery operated mini Christmas lights so that might be fun to leave. 
We always leave cash but thought something with a holiday theme would be fun. Just want to share a little cheer!

Just now, Carley said:

That’s a great idea! I’m bringing battery operated mini Christmas lights so that might be fun to leave. 
We always leave cash but thought something with a holiday theme would be fun. Just want to share a little cheer!

I'm sure they can always trade things down in the crew cabin "black market"  ?

They always seem appreciative no matter what we have offered them.  I know we had a cabin steward admire my brother's USB charging hub and asked where he had gotten it.  So at the end of the cruise my brother just gave it to him.  

I've told cabin stewards they could have some of my unused travel sized toiletries that I had packed and didn't want to bring back home.  They were always gracious and thankful for the offer.  They have to purchase that stuff on their days off when they they are in ports, so it's not as easy to come by for them.  

Google dollar bill origami and make some cabin decorations out of that and leave it for the stewards ?

19 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I know we had a cabin steward admire my brother's USB charging hub and asked where he had gotten it.  So at the end of the cruise my brother just gave it to him.

True story, already had a new one on order and ready for delivery when I got back home. Also now supports the thought of have dedicated travel devices. Those dedicated travel devices make packing less stressful not having to remember to grab that charger before leaving.

Just never underestimate what you might already have.